Help needed - Newtons first law - particles in equilibrium

In summary, Hemmelig is having trouble with a particular exercise and is seeking help from others. He has found that using m=w/g to find the weight of the person (882.9 N) works correctly, but when he tries to use sin and cos with the angle, he does not get the right result. He has also found that if he calls the rope C, the answer he gets is exactly twice the correct result.
Hemmelig
For some odd reason, I'm having no problems with the rest of the exercises, though this one is really annoying as i just can't seem to get it right.

Here's a picture of the exercise

h t t p://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?4bc2e12442.jpg
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?4bc2e12442.jpg
Could someone please give me a detailed description on how to solve it ?

I've used m=w/g to find the weight of the person (882.9 N )
But when i try to use sin and cos with the angle, i don't get the right result

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you show us what you have done?

What angles did you use in the sin and/or cos functions?

Please provide us with more information about what you have done.

I tried dividing it up in two sets, where the rope to the left was A and the rope to the right was B

Since it's in equilibrium, the sum of forces in the x direction (Fx) is 0, Fy is also 0

Since Fx=0 : B * sin 10 + (-A)
Since Fy=0 : B * cos 10 + (-w)

I then used the second one to find the tension from part B, but I'm not allowed to sum them together (?), so i don't really know what to do.

Basicly, i haven't got a clue right now

Hi Hemmelig,

Newton's law in the x-direction, for the case of no acceleration in the x-direction is [itex]\sum F_x =0[/itex]. Writing this out for the case of your three forces, A, B, and w gives:

[tex]
A_x+ B_x + w_x =0
[/tex]

Your got that w_x=0 (so the weight force does not appear in the x direction equation); however, it appears that you did not get the right x-components for A and B.

In the y direction, the same thing is happening. Your y-component for the weight is okay ([itex]w_y=-w[/itex]) but the y-components for A and B are incorrect.

hmm, what are the right components for x and y then ?

I got the right result (well, in a way)

If i call the rope C

C * sin 10 + (-w)

w/sin10 = C

But for some reason, the answer i get is exactly twise the correct result

Am i doing it right and I'm just supposed to divide the answer with two ?

For the part of the rope pulling to the right (force B), it is pulling both upwards and to the right. It's x-component is the horizontal component of the force and if you draw a triangle for the components of B you can see that the horizontal component is adjacent to the angle.

So, for example, [itex]B_x = +B \cos\theta[/itex]. If you find [itex]B_y, A_x, A_y[/itex] you can then find the tension.

Last edited:
Hemmelig said:
I got the right result (well, in a way)

If i call the rope C

C * sin 10 + (-w)

w/sin10 = C

But for some reason, the answer i get is exactly twise the correct result

Am i doing it right and I'm just supposed to divide the answer with two ?

If you solve the equation for forces in the x-direction and plug it into the force equation for the y direction, you'll get the above formula except with a factor of 2.

Solving the x-direction equation will also tell you something important about the tension along ropes in these problems that will show you why the above equation is so close.

Related to Help needed - Newtons first law - particles in equilibrium

What is Newton's First Law?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

How does Newton's First Law relate to particles in equilibrium?

In the context of particles in equilibrium, Newton's First Law means that the forces acting on the particles must be balanced, resulting in a net force of zero. This is because the particles are either at rest or moving at a constant velocity, as predicted by the law.

What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium occurs when the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no movement. This is often seen in objects at rest. Dynamic equilibrium occurs when the object is moving at a constant velocity, but the forces are still balanced. This can be observed in objects moving at a constant speed in a straight line.

How can we determine if particles are in equilibrium?

To determine if particles are in equilibrium, we need to first identify all the forces acting on the particles. Then, we can use Newton's First Law to analyze the forces and determine if they are balanced. If the net force is zero, the particles are in equilibrium.

What are some real-world examples of particles in equilibrium?

Some examples of particles in equilibrium include a book resting on a table, a car moving at a constant speed on a straight road, and a person standing still on the ground. In all these cases, the forces acting on the particles are balanced, resulting in equilibrium.