How Do I Solve These Complex Newtonian Force Problems?

• Thread starter TripelS
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a Bunch of Newton/Force Problems they missed in school and are now expected to self-teach. The student has trouble with specific questions out of a total of 50. They ask for help with understanding concepts and steps for solving each question. The questions involve calculating forces, acceleration, and tension in various scenarios. The teacher suggests using formulas and drawing force diagrams to solve the problems.
TripelS
Help needed in Bunch of Newton/Force Problems!

So we went over these questions in school,... and I was absent.. So my teacher expects me to self-teach myself. But I have trouble with these specific questions (out of 50 questions )...

Please show me steps

Question 1:
A mass of 25 kg is acted on by two forces: F1 is 15 N due east, and F2 is 10 N due north. The acceleration of the mass is

A. 0.72 m/s2, 56.3° north of east.
B. 0.20 m/s2, east.
C. 0.72 m/s2, 33.7° north of east.
D. 1.0 m/s2, 33.7° north of east.
E. 0.20 m/s2, 56.3° north of east.

Question 2:

An astronaut lands on an earthlike planet and drops a small lead ball with a mass of 76.5 g from top of her spaceship. The point of release is 18 m above the surface of the planet and the ball takes 2.5 s to reach the ground. The astronaut's mass on Earth is 68.5 kg. Her weight on the planet is

A. 69 N
B. 395 N
C. 670 N
D. 990 N
E. 1.02 kNQuestion 5:

A lamp with a mass 42.6 kg is hanging from wires as shown. The tension T1 in the Vertical wire is
A. 210 N
B. 417 N
C. 570 N
D. 360 N
E. 730 NQuestion 6:

A lamp with a mass M is suspended from the ceiling by two cords as shown. The ratio of the magnitude of the vertical component of the tension in T2 to that in T3 is

A. 1:1
B. 1:2
C. 2:3
D. 3:2
E. 3:1

Question 7:

A vertical rope is attached to an object that has a mass of 40.0 kg and is at rest. The tension in the rope needed to give the object an upward speed of 3.50 m/s in 0.700 s is

A. 592 N
B. 392 N
C. 200 N
D. 980 N
E. 729 NQuestion 8:

A 6 kg block sitting on a smooth table is connected to a free-hanging 2 kg mass by a stretchless, massless cord that passes over a small frictionless pulley. The acceleration of the two-block system is

A. g
B.(1/2)g
C. (1/3)g
D. (1/4)g
E. (2/3)g

Question 9:

A 15 kg block sitting on a smooth table is connected to a free-hanging 5 kg mass by a stretchless, massless cord that passes over a small frictionless pulley. The acceleration of the two-block system is

A. g
B. (1/2)g
C. (1/3)g
D. (1/4)g
E. zeroQuestion 10:

Two tug-of-war teams are pulling on the ends of a rope, each team with a force of 1000 N. If the rope does not move, the tension in the rope is

A. 2000 N
B. 500 N
C. 1000 N
D. zero
E. 2000 kg

Physics news on Phys.org

Question 1: What is the total force (as a vector?) What are its magnitude and direction?

Question 2: Try s = 1/2 g t^2 (and remember that formula!)

Question 5: Dissolve the gravitational force in the directions of the cables. The lamp does not accelerate, what does this tell you about the magnitude of T?

Question 6: Probably similar to the other ones, but I'd need to see the diagram.

Question 7: Use F = ma. What is the net force needed? How does this force relate to the tension T?

Questions 8, 9: draw force diagrams. How do the pulleys transfer gravitational force to the block (doubling, canceling, ...)?

Question 10: Draw a free body diagram for the rope.

Related to How Do I Solve These Complex Newtonian Force Problems?

1. What is the definition of Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do I calculate net force in a Newton problem?

To calculate net force, you must first determine all of the individual forces acting on an object. Then, you can use the formula F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. Simply add up all of the forces acting on the object in the same direction and subtract any forces acting in the opposite direction to find the net force.

3. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight can change based on the strength of gravity, but mass remains constant. Weight is often measured in Newtons, while mass is measured in kilograms.

4. How can I use Newton's laws to solve real-world problems?

Newton's laws of motion can be applied to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as calculating the acceleration of a car or the forces acting on a roller coaster. By identifying the forces at play and using the appropriate formulas, you can use Newton's laws to accurately predict the motion of objects in real-world situations.

5. What is the role of friction in Newton's laws of motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and is a key factor in Newton's laws of motion. In the first law, friction is what causes objects to eventually come to a stop when no external forces are acting on them. In the second law, friction is one of the forces that can contribute to the net force acting on an object. In the third law, friction is what allows us to walk and grip objects as it provides the necessary reaction force.