Help Need SCIECE PROJECT IDEAS

In summary, participants in the conversation discussed ideas for a project to enter in the New York Intel ISEF fair related to physical science or math. The project must be original research, feasible on a small budget, and have a professional and interesting aspect. Suggestions included using Gravity Simulator to do an experiment in celestial mechanics, recreating an experiment about Sedna's orbit, and using Gravity Simulator to prove that our solar system has never been visited by another star system. Other ideas included calculating Planck's Constant and emphasizing that physics is fun.
delton
Hi everyone:
I really want to enter the new-york Intel ISEF fair with a project related to phyical science or math. I'm open to any ideas, but keep these rules in mind:

- The project must be original research on a specific topic
-It needs to be feasible on a small budget,although I can use the HIgh School lab if necessary

I want to do something fresh, novel, interesting, and proffesional. :smile:

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Make a volcano. For an extra little touch (you wanted it to be professional), add a little red food coloring to the vinegar/baking soda mixture. It'll WOW them! :-) jk...good luck with the sci fair though!

You could use Gravity Simulator (www.gravitysimulator.com) to do an experiment in celestial mechanics. If you have a laptop computer, your display could be the actual simulation displayed for the viewers. This will satisfy both the physical science and math part of your experiment. Gravity Simulator is a program I wrote. I recently used it to re-create an experiment about Sedna, an object almost as large as Pluto with a weird orbit.

I read an interesting article on how Sedna got its weird orbit. Astronomers Alessandro Morbidelli and Harold F. Levison have suggested that it was once orbiting a brown dwarf that passed close to the Sun, and the Sun captured it. They set up an experiment where a 0.05 solar mass brown dwarf passes 200 AU from the Sun with an initial velocity of 1 km/s at infinity, and shows that the Sun captures approximately 44 % of everything orbiting the brown dwarf in the plane of the encounter.

I recreated their experiment in Gravity Simulator. And they're correct... The Sun captured 8 of 20 test particles, with 2 of them in Sedna-like orbits in my recreation.

Another student used Gravity Simulator to prove that our solar system has never been visited by another star system, by showing what would happen to the orbits of the planets if another star were to pass close to, or through the solar system.
There's a few more ideas here:
http://www.orbitsimulator.com/gravity/articles/sciencefair.html

THanks a lot tony!
I'll be looking into aplications and the relation to the n-body problem, one of the last great problems of classical physics, right?
Cyrad2 - Your idea would be good for elmentary schoollers, but this is is a proffesional fair. When I went last year, very few projects even had displays (just posterboards and research papers), and those with displays did not do better then those without them.

Calculate Planck's Constant. That is always fun!

Remember PHYSICS IS PHUN!

I did for my first year lab project and got it pretty accurate. 6.629etc e-34

Related to Help Need SCIECE PROJECT IDEAS

What are some resources for finding science project ideas?

Some resources for finding science project ideas include science websites, science fairs, science magazines, science books, and science teachers. These resources can provide inspiration and guidance for developing a unique and interesting project idea.

How do I come up with a science project idea?

One way to come up with a science project idea is to think about your interests and hobbies. You can also look for problems or questions in your daily life that you would like to explore through science. Additionally, you can browse through science project ideas online or consult with a science teacher for guidance.

What are some important factors to consider when choosing a science project idea?

When choosing a science project idea, it is important to consider the resources and materials you have available, the level of difficulty and complexity of the project, and the time frame for completing it. You should also consider your own interests and strengths to ensure you choose a project that you will enjoy and be able to successfully complete.

How can I make my science project idea unique and original?

To make your science project idea unique and original, you can try to approach a common topic from a new angle, incorporate a new technology or technique, or combine multiple disciplines. You can also try to solve a problem or answer a question that has not yet been explored in the scientific community.

What are some examples of successful science projects?

Some examples of successful science projects include creating a self-sustaining ecosystem, designing a new technology or invention, conducting experiments to test a hypothesis, and analyzing data to find patterns or trends. Other successful projects may involve developing a new medicine or treatment, creating a model or simulation, or building and testing a structure or machine.