Help Me! Solving Maths Basics - Car in Water

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car leaving a quay and landing in the water. The question asks for the time taken and velocity of the car as it hits the quay. The solution involves using projectile motion equations and solving for the horizontal and vertical speeds separately. Ultimately, the velocity of the car is equal to 5m/s.
russs598
I know I am thick!

I know this sound stupid but my kid has brought his homework home and although I am OK at higher maths i seem to have lost the ability to do the basics! :eek:
Can anyone help with this...

A car leaves a quay and ends in the water 6m away from the foot of the quay. The quay is 5m above water level.

Q. What is the time taken for the car to hit the water? Hence determine the velocity with which it hits the quay.

Cheers

Mathematics news on Phys.org
is there a time component to where teh car splashed?
Its projectile motion. That you need to look up.

x=v_x0*t; x=6;
y=the acceleration formula with a=g...mmm can't remmeber but i think its
y+v_y0*t+g/2*t^2; y=5;

solve for v_x0, v_y0...and then do the pythagorean to get the speed. or if they want the velocity vector then your done.

The car falls vertically at the acceleration of gravity so the horizontal speed and distance of the car won't matter.

Assuming g=10m/s^2,
s = 5m, u = 0m/s, a = 10m/s^2, t = ?

s=ut + 0.5a(t^2)
t = sqrt (2s/a)
= 1s

therefore using v=s/t
v = 5m / 1s = 5m/s

Just keep in mind that projectiles have 2 separate speeds, the horizontal and the verticle and they don't mix up unless you want to find the resultant force.

Related to Help Me! Solving Maths Basics - Car in Water

What is the "Car in Water" problem?

The "Car in Water" problem is a classic math problem that involves a car driving into a river or lake and sinking to the bottom. The goal is to determine the depth of the water based on various given information, such as the time it takes for the car to sink and the distance it travels before sinking.

What are the basic steps to solve the "Car in Water" problem?

The basic steps to solve the "Car in Water" problem are as follows:1. Identify the given information, including the time it takes for the car to sink and the distance it travels before sinking.2. Use the formula d = 1/2 * g * t^2 to calculate the depth of the water, where d is the depth, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.3. If necessary, convert the units of measurement to ensure consistency.4. Substitute the values into the formula and solve for d.5. Check your answer to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

What is the formula used to solve the "Car in Water" problem?

The formula used to solve the "Car in Water" problem is d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the depth, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time. This formula is derived from the kinematic equations of motion and can be used to calculate the depth of the water based on the time it takes for the car to sink.

What are the units of measurement used in the "Car in Water" problem?

The units of measurement used in the "Car in Water" problem are typically meters for distance, seconds for time, and meters per second squared for acceleration due to gravity. However, depending on the given information, these units may need to be converted to ensure consistency.

What are some common mistakes when solving the "Car in Water" problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the "Car in Water" problem include:- Not using the correct formula or using the formula incorrectly.- Forgetting to convert units of measurement.- Making arithmetic errors when substituting values into the formula.- Not checking the reasonableness of the answer in the context of the problem.To avoid these mistakes, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem, use the correct formula, double-check calculations, and use common sense to check the answer.