Help Me Solve My Problems: U-Tube and Styrofoam Bucket

• Thread starter peaches1221
  • Start date
  • Tags
    U-tube
In summary: So there should only be two terms in the q lost equation.In summary, The first problem involves finding the density of an unknown liquid by using a U-tube and the principle of equal pressure at the same depth. The second problem involves calculating the equilibrium temperature of a system after adding steam to a container of ice, using equations for heat gain and loss.
peaches1221
I really suck at these problems. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please help.

1. A U-tube contains liquid of unknown density. An oil of density 785 kg/m3 is poured into one arm of the tube until the oil column is 15 cm high. The oil-air interface is then 7 cm above the liquid level in the other arm of the U-tube. Find the density of the liquid.

I know that P1=P2
I said P1 = Patm + (density of oil)(g)(.15m) + (density of unknown)(g)(.07m)
P2 + Patm + (density of unknown)(g)(.15)
When I solved for the density, I got and answer of 1471.875.
Is this right? I get the feeling I did something wrong. Please help!

2. A well-insulated styrofoam bucket contains 143 g of ice at 0oC. If 21 g of steam at 100°C is injected into the bucket, what is the final equilibrium temperature of the system?(cwater=4186 J/kg.oC, Lf=33.5x104 J/kg, Lv=22.6x105 J/kg)

Qlost= steam
Qgain = ice

qlost=q gain

(1) M ice * C ice * (Teq-0) + M ice * Lf + M ice * C water * (Teq - 0)
(2) M steam * C steam * (Teq - 100) + M steam * Lv + M steam C water ( 100 - 0)

I equated the two equations, and then solved for Teq. I messed up somewhere, I think with temeperatures. Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone please help me =(

Hi peaches1221,

#1-Your approach here gives the right answer. However, I think it might be better to think about it this way:

On the side with the oil, the pressure at the top of the oil is atmospheric pressure. At the bottom of the oil the pressure is

[tex]
P_1 = P_{\rm atm} + \rho_{\rm oil}g(0.15)
[/tex]

Now find the pressure of the unknown liquid at the same vertical depth as the bottom of the oil. The pressure at the top of the liquid is atmospheric pressure. The top of the liquid is 7cm below the top of the oil, so you have to go down 8cm into the liquid to reach the same vertical depth. So

[tex]
P_2 = P_{\rm atm} + \rho_{\rm liq} g(0.08)
[/tex]

Then set [itex]P_1=P_2[/itex] to find [itex]\rho_{\rm liq}[/itex]. (But like I said, this is equivalent to what you did.)

#2- For the ice, since it starts out at its melting point temperature, there are only two processes: it melts, and then it heats up to the equilibrium temperature. So there should only be two terms in the q gain equation.

Similarly for the steam; since it starts out at 100 degrees C, it will only have two processes: it turns to water, and then cools down to the equilibrium temperature.

Related to Help Me Solve My Problems: U-Tube and Styrofoam Bucket

1. What is the purpose of using a U-Tube and Styrofoam Bucket to solve problems?

The U-Tube and Styrofoam Bucket method is a simple yet effective technique used in science experiments to determine the density of an unknown liquid. It is also commonly used in physics to understand the principles of buoyancy.

2. How does the U-Tube and Styrofoam Bucket method work?

The U-Tube is filled with a known liquid, such as water, and the unknown liquid is poured into the Styrofoam Bucket. The U-Tube is then inserted into the bucket, and the difference in the levels of the two liquids is measured. This difference is used to calculate the density of the unknown liquid.

3. What materials are needed for this method?

To perform the U-Tube and Styrofoam Bucket method, you will need a U-Tube, a Styrofoam Bucket, a known liquid, and the unknown liquid. You will also need a ruler or measuring tape to measure the difference in liquid levels.

4. Can this method be used for any type of liquid?

Yes, the U-Tube and Styrofoam Bucket method can be used to determine the density of any liquid, as long as the liquid is safe to handle and does not react with the materials used in the experiment.

5. What are the limitations of using the U-Tube and Styrofoam Bucket method?

The accuracy of this method depends on the precision of the measurements taken. The U-Tube needs to be inserted into the bucket carefully to avoid any spills or disturbances in the liquid. Also, this method may not work for liquids with very low or high densities, as the difference in liquid levels may be too small or too large to measure accurately.