Help me solve for X nearly impossible but still possible I don't know how

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary, the original poster is asking for help solving an equation but does not want to explicitly state the equation that needs to be solved. Multiple forms of the equation below that the original poster was clueless on how to solve were provided. If the original poster helps solve the equation, they will be "crazy."
GreenPrint
Help me solve for X nearly impossible! but still possible I don't know how

Homework Statement

Any help you can offer would be great for solving this problem. I got very far in the solution and just kept on running into dead ends. Multiple forms of the equaiton below that I was clueless on how to solve.

If you help me solve this, that would be crazy. THANK YOU if you do as I don't see how but maybe it is possible my teacher is so mean making me solve this problem. Seems like she's trying to be mean all the instruction were 5 words:

"Solve"
and the problem in the picture above.
O.M.G. I don't know how to do this problem.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

well, if I read the problem correctly isnt:

[tex]i^{2x/\pi} - i^{2x/\pi} = 0 [/tex] ??

It is possilbe to solve though correct I don't see why not you just need to know how which i don't know how to do I got to several dead ends

It would really help if you used proper punctuation.

This problem can't be solved exactly. You can simplify it a bit if you use the fact that [itex]i=e^{i\pi/2}[/itex] in the numerator of the lefthand side and do some algebra. It's clear from the resulting equation, however, that you can't find an exact answer.

and why is that? Why can't you fidn an exact answer

I think if you just knew how to, which I don't know how to, you could solve it, as I really don't see why it's no solvable can you maybe explain more why it isn't solvable

You can't solve it exactly for the same reason you can't solve an equation like [itex]x^2e^x = x+10[/itex] exactly. You can get an approximate solution using numerical methods, but you can't write down a solution in terms of elementary functions.

Here is a hint as to why it is unsolvable.

An Euler identity is [tex]e^{ix} = cos(x) + isin(x)[/tex]. Substitute that in for what you have and you'll quickly see why it isn't solvable exactly.

Yes but trigonemtric functions can take on an infinite amount of values so to say that it has no solution bothers me becasue the solution can consist of all possible numbers possilbe, all of them, to say that there is no solution seems to be as bad as teaching people that cos(x) = -2 has no solution because it has an infinite amount of solutions

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7261/capturefdr.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

so i do believe their is one I just don't kno whow to solve that equation for X

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually graphing it does reveal a solution I was right

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=((i+2x/%CF%80-i+(-2x)/%CF%80))/2i%3Dx^3-27,+solve+for+x

see that page there is a solution so now that you believe me can you please help me solve thanks

GreenPrint said:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=((i+2x/%CF%80-i+(-2x)/%CF%80))/2i%3Dx^3-27,+solve+for+x

see that page there is a solution so now that you believe me can you please help me solve thanks

The equation you typed into wolfram|alpha here, and obtained a result for, is not the same as the equation you give in your opening post (you missed out the exponents, and wrote them as multiplications). Putting the correct equation into wolfram|alpha returns an approximate answer (since, as you have been told, this cannot be solved exactly):

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28i^%282x%2FPi%29-i^%28-2x%2FPi%29%29%2F2i%3Dx^3-27%2C+solve+for+x

hmmm Thank You

I didn't say there was no solution. I said you can't solve it exactly.

I think vela is on to something here: I think the original poster is saying "solve it" with the intent of writing a solution explicitly as [itex] x = [/itex] some expression, while others have been using "solve it" as a request to find any number(s) that work, realizing that there is no closed form for those values - i.e., found approximately.

Related to Help me solve for X nearly impossible but still possible I don't know how

What is the meaning of "solve for X"?

When solving for X, you are trying to find the value of the variable X in a mathematical equation or problem.

Why is it considered nearly impossible to solve for X?

Solving for X can be difficult because it often involves complex mathematical concepts and equations that require advanced problem-solving skills.

Is it really possible to solve for X when it seems impossible?

Yes, it is possible to solve for X even when it seems impossible. With determination, critical thinking, and the right tools and approach, any problem can be solved.

What are some strategies for solving for X?

Some strategies for solving for X include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, using algebraic rules and equations, and utilizing trial and error.

What resources can I use to help me solve for X?

You can use a variety of resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, math forums, and seeking help from a math tutor or teacher to assist you in solving for X.