Help me put this rocket into orbit Need a jumpstart

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of creating a spreadsheet and graph to place a rocket in a circular orbit using only one stage of launch/flight. The equations V(escape)=sqrt(2GME/R), thrust= [(m1v1)-(m2v2)]/(t2-t1), V(at equator)= 2piR/t = 463.8 m/s, and v= sqrt(mew/r) are mentioned, as well as considering acceleration due to gravity and the altitude of orbit. The conversation also mentions the assumption of the rocket being launched on the equator in an eastward direction and ignoring complications of ejecting the payload. The individual is seeking some guidance on how to approach the problem.
joeblack99999

Homework Statement

Ok so i had all of this typed up and some work typed out and then the page refreshed and i lost it all so this one is going to be shorter and more brief.

I have to create a spreadsheet and graph of altitude vs time and speed vs altitude. My goal is to place a rocket into a circular orbit assuming only 1 stage of launch/flight. Calculate thrust. Typical exhaust velocity is 3,000 m/s. Ignore air drag. Consider acceleration due to gravity and notice its decrease as the rocket ascends. Consider the altitude of orbit and calculate the speed necessary to keep the rocket in orbit. This will be final velocity (which is when mass of fuel = zero) Most likely i will calculate only vertical velocity. Rocket is launched on equator in east direction (speed of Earth in east direction is 1440 km/h) Ignore complication of ejecting the payload with initial tangential speed by assuming when the rocket reaches the desired height it magically turns around and the vertical velocity becomes the tangential velocity. Assume the mass of the rocket, fuel, and payload- and the burnout time.

Homework Equations

V(escape)=sqrt(2GME/R)
thrust= [(m1v1)-(m2v2)]/(t2-t1)
V(at equator)= 2piR/t = 463.8 m/s
v= sqrt(mew/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I need a jumpstart to the problem because i really don't know where to start. I am not simply asking for a full solution to avoid doing my work, but maybe simply some info or tips to start me off thinking in the right direction. I am thinking that i will have (delta)v= v - (delta)force of gravity. I am just not sure which other formulas to use for this specific problem and how to start it off. I've been playing with some numbers and equations but can't piece it all together for the whole overall solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump- does nobody know what equations i would need to put something into orbit?

Related to Help me put this rocket into orbit Need a jumpstart

1. How do you calculate the amount of fuel needed to put a rocket into orbit?

The amount of fuel needed to put a rocket into orbit depends on several factors, such as the size and weight of the rocket, the desired altitude and speed of orbit, and atmospheric conditions. This calculation is typically done using complex mathematical equations and simulations.

2. What is the role of a jumpstart in putting a rocket into orbit?

A jumpstart, also known as a boost or kickstart, is a short burst of additional thrust used to help a rocket reach its desired altitude and speed for orbit. This is typically done after the initial launch and before the rocket's engines are shut off for the first time.

3. How is the trajectory of a rocket determined for successful orbit?

The trajectory of a rocket is determined by a combination of factors, including the direction and strength of thrust, atmospheric conditions, and gravitational forces. This trajectory is carefully planned and constantly monitored to ensure a successful orbit.

4. What are the potential challenges in putting a rocket into orbit?

There are many potential challenges in putting a rocket into orbit, including technical issues with the rocket or its components, unpredictable atmospheric conditions, and human error. It is a highly complex and precise process that requires careful planning and execution.

5. How long does it typically take to put a rocket into orbit?

The time it takes to put a rocket into orbit varies depending on the size and type of rocket, the desired altitude and speed of orbit, and other factors. On average, it can take anywhere from 8-15 minutes for a rocket to reach orbit after its initial launch.