Help Me Measure Capacitance with ASL MODEL 1055

In summary, the ASL MODEL 1055 is a device that can accurately measure capacitance through the use of advanced algorithms and a wide range of features. It is designed to be user-friendly and can be used with a variety of capacitive sensors, making it a versatile tool for measuring capacitance in various applications. The device also offers calibration options and can store data for future reference. With its high precision and reliability, the ASL MODEL 1055 is a valuable asset for those in need of accurate capacitance measurements.
BerryBoy
Not sure where I was supposed to post this; but I think here it will hopefully get the attention of someone who can help me.

I am working on a project where I have to measure capacitance very accurately. I have been given a: ASL MODEL 1055 MANUAL DISPLACEMENT METER. But I've been, along with a colleague, ploughing through the circuit diagrams and instruction manual but cannot find out how to use the device to measure the capacitance of anything :confused:

I was hoping that someone, somewhere can send me something to help.

Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post a link to a soft copy of that manual (like at the manufacturer's website)? I tried google, but no luck with a quick search.

Maybe I am missing something, but why are you trying to use a displacement meter to measure capacitance? AFAIK displacement meters are used to measure changes in length (i.e. displacement)
I know there are capacitive displacement meters, but I am not sure there is an easy way to use one to actually measure capacitance.

Generally speaking, if you need measure capacitance accurately you should use a capacitance bridge.
However, an ordinary benchtop LCR meter will probably be accurate enough in most applications.

f95toli said:
Maybe I am missing something, but why are you trying to use a displacement meter to measure capacitance? AFAIK displacement meters are used to measure changes in length (i.e. displacement)
I know there are capacitive displacement meters, but I am not sure there is an easy way to use one to actually measure capacitance.

Generally speaking, if you need measure capacitance accurately you should use a capacitance bridge.
However, an ordinary benchtop LCR meter will probably be accurate enough in most applications.

Sorry, I haven't got back to you guys sooner; was a hectic day yesterday. I found someone in the University who knew how to use the equipment. It was wired wrong for measuring capacitance because the guys from the super-conducting labs had hold of it lol.

As for the instruction manual, the thing is soo old the circuit diagrams are hand drawn :-p. But it measures capacitance to [itex]1 x 10^{-7} pF[/itex] (OMG). I need it accurate because I'm going to investigate a method of couting atoms between two metal plates (in a vacuum container) with various gases.

Thanks for the response though guys.
Sam

berkeman said:
Can you post a link to a soft copy of that manual (like at the manufacturer's website)? I tried google, but no luck with a quick search.

Yeah, we tried going onto the manufacturers website for a better copy of the manual, but they don't even list the product we're using.

Related to Help Me Measure Capacitance with ASL MODEL 1055

1. What is capacitance and why is it important?

Capacitance is the ability of a material to store electric charge. It is an important concept in electronics and electrical engineering, as it is used to measure the amount of charge that can be stored in a capacitor and to design circuits.

2. How does ASL MODEL 1055 measure capacitance?

ASL MODEL 1055 uses an electrical method called the charge balance technique to measure capacitance. It applies an AC voltage to the capacitor and measures the resulting current, which is then used to calculate the capacitance.

3. What are the key features of ASL MODEL 1055?

Some key features of ASL MODEL 1055 include its high accuracy, wide measurement range, and fast measurement speed. It also has built-in self-calibration and self-test capabilities for reliable and accurate measurements.

4. Can ASL MODEL 1055 measure capacitance in different units?

Yes, ASL MODEL 1055 can measure capacitance in different units such as picofarads, nanofarads, and microfarads. It also has the ability to display results in both engineering units and scientific notation.

5. Is ASL MODEL 1055 suitable for both laboratory and field use?

Yes, ASL MODEL 1055 is designed for both laboratory and field use. It is compact and portable, making it convenient for on-site measurements. It also has a robust design and can withstand harsh environmental conditions.