Help me factorize a quadratic equation in a complex variable

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a trigonometric integral using residue theorem. The equation being solved is 2Z2+iZ2-6Z+2-i, with the roots being Z1=(2-i) and Z2=(2-i)/5. The OP is unable to write the equation in factored form and receives a hint to use the coefficient of Z2. There is some confusion and discussion about a possible error in the original equation and the use of complex numbers in the solution. The conversation ends with the OP acknowledging their mistake in forgetting to include the coefficient of Z2 in the factored form.
aristotle_sind
The equation is: (appears while solving a trigonometric integral using residue theorem)

2Z2+iZ2-6Z+2-i
=(2+i)Z2-6Z+(2-i)

The roots are:
Z1=(2-i) and Z2=(2-i)/5

I can't write the equation in factored form.
If I simply write it like this:
{z-(2-i)}{5z-(2-i)}
It doesn't give the same equation back i.e.
{z-(2-i)}{5z-(2-i)}=5Z2-12Z+6iZ+3-4i
which is not the equation that I started with.

Can anyone please write the equation in factored form...

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you notice PF has a template ?

In the first place, I don't see an equation. But I suppose you want to solve 2Z2+iZ2-6Z+2-i = 0 ?

You claim a root is z = 2-i. How do you know ?

Let me give you a hint, anyway: what is 5/(2+i) ?

BvU said:
In the first place, I don't see an equation. But I suppose you want to solve 2Z2+iZ2-6Z+2-i = 0 ?

The roots 2-i and (2-i)/5 are correct. They are the same as 5/(2+i) and 1/(2+i).

ehild

aristotle_sind said:
The equation is: (appears while solving a trigonometric integral using residue theorem)

2Z2+iZ2-6Z+2-i
=(2+i)Z2-6Z+(2-i)

The roots are:
Z1=(2-i) and Z2=(2-i)/5

I can't write the equation in factored form.
If I simply write it like this:
{z-(2-i)}{5z-(2-i)}
It doesn't give the same equation back i.e.

Can anyone please write the equation in factored form...

az2+bz+c=a(z-z1)(z-z2)

You forgot the coefficient of z2.

ehild

Dear ehild, what a splurge of posts. Why don't we let poor old Ari contemplate a bit ?

BvU said:
Dear ehild, what a splurge of posts. Why don't we let poor old Ari contemplate a bit ?

The OP solved the quadratic equation corresponding to the original formula correctly. Why did you try to confuse him?

ehild

Oh boy, that wasn't the intention. The intention was to let Ari see that a simple multiplication of the coefficients with (2+i)/5 would let the one eq go over into the other.

Maybe it would even have worked! Or does Ari have the feeling I tried to confuse him/her ?

You asked the OP how did he know that 2-i was a solution. Was not it confusing?

ehild

Thank you for the replies...

BvU said:
Did you notice PF has a template ?

Well .. my bad .. that certainly wasn't a good way to ask for help and my equation looked weird. I've bookmarked the guidelines thread .. will refer to it before making a new thread in future. Thank you for that...

And I did get a root that was 5/(2+i) but just wanted to get rid of i in the denominator.

ehild said:
az2+bz+c=a(z-z1)(z-z2)

You forgot the coefficient of z2.

ehild

Thank you .. Didn't even realize I was making this mistake. Had completely forgotten that you add the coefficient of Z2 while factorizing a quadratic.

Related to Help me factorize a quadratic equation in a complex variable

1. What is a quadratic equation in a complex variable?

A quadratic equation in a complex variable is an algebraic equation that contains a variable raised to the second power and also includes complex numbers. An example of a quadratic equation in a complex variable is z^2 + 2z + 3 = 0.

2. Why do we need to factorize a quadratic equation in a complex variable?

Factoring a quadratic equation in a complex variable helps us solve for the values of the variable that make the equation true. It also allows us to simplify the equation and make it easier to work with in further calculations.

3. What is the process for factorizing a quadratic equation in a complex variable?

The process for factorizing a quadratic equation in a complex variable involves finding two numbers that when multiplied together, give the constant term of the equation and also add up to the coefficient of the variable term. These numbers can then be used to rewrite the equation in factored form.

4. Can all quadratic equations in a complex variable be factorized?

Yes, all quadratic equations in a complex variable can be factorized. However, some may have complex roots, meaning the solutions involve complex numbers.

5. What is the significance of finding the roots of a quadratic equation in a complex variable?

The roots of a quadratic equation in a complex variable represent the values of the variable that satisfy the equation. These values can be used to graph the equation and help us understand its behavior. Additionally, the roots can also be used in further calculations and equations.