Help me Diff Equation population model

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a logistic law differential equation to determine the population of a city as a function of time. The equation is separable and can be solved by integrating and then solving for x. However, the speaker is unsure of how to solve the equation and asks for help. The conversation ends with the suggestion to split the equation into fractions to integrate it.
benz31345

Homework Statement

The population x of a certain city satisfies the logistic law
dx/dt = x/100 - x^2/10^8

where time t is measured in years.given that the population of this city is 100000 in 1980,determine the population as a function of this for t>1980 .In particular,answer the following question
1. What will be the population in 2020

Homework Equations

I don't know how to do.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
That differential equation is separable, so you can solve it right away,
[tex] t-t0 = \int^x_{x_0} \frac{dx}{x/100-x^2/10^8} [/tex]
Then just calculate the integral, solve x(t) and use the initial values given to fix the constant x0

So when integral finish already it just have two x
I don't know how to do next step.

I don't know what you are talking about. If by "two x" you mean you have x in two different places and want x= f(t), solve the equation for x!

Please don't just say "I don't know how to do it" and then say "I have already done that". Show us what you got when you integrated and how you have tried to solve for x.

I get. lnx + 10^6/x = t/10^+c

When take e

X + e^10^6/x = ce^t/10^2

X(t) = ce^t/10^2 - e^10^6/x

Have two x right? X is answer
How to solve?

benz31345 said:
I get. lnx + 10^6/x = t/10^+c

When take e

X + e^10^6/x = ce^t/10^2

X(t) = ce^t/10^2 - e^10^6/x

Have two x right? X is answer
How to solve?

That's not how you integrate that! Split it into fractions!

[tex] \frac{1}{x - bx^2} = \frac{1}{x} + \frac{b}{1-bx} [/tex]
or something close to that

Related to Help me Diff Equation population model

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an unknown function and its derivative(s). It is commonly used in many fields of science, including population modeling, to model how a system changes over time.

2. How is a differential equation used in population modeling?

Differential equations are used in population modeling to describe how a population changes over time. This can help scientists predict and understand how populations will grow or decline, and what factors may affect this change.

3. What is the population model for a differential equation?

The population model for a differential equation is a mathematical expression that represents the change in population over time. It is typically in the form of a rate equation, where the rate of change of the population is equal to the birth rate minus the death rate, or the change in population is equal to the growth rate times the current population.

4. What are the key variables in a population model?

The key variables in a population model include the population size, birth rate, death rate, and growth rate. These variables can be adjusted to reflect different scenarios and conditions, allowing scientists to make predictions about how a population may change.

5. How accurate are population models based on differential equations?

The accuracy of a population model based on differential equations depends on the assumptions made and the quality of the data used. In general, these models can provide a good understanding of how a population may change over time, but they are not always accurate due to the complexity of real-world systems.