Help me develop a public-key system (for fun)

• Thread starter moonman239
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun System
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of public-key encryption and the possibility of building a personal algorithm. The proposed algorithm involves converting messages into numbers and using public and private keys to sort and decrypt the message. The conversation also mentions the potential drawbacks of this method and the need for further details to develop a successful algorithm.
moonman239
Help me develop a public-key system (for fun) :)

I just read up on public-key encryption and now I'm kind of interested in building an algorithm of my own. How about something like this:

1) Alice could type her message to Bob into a computer

2) The computer converts the letters and characters into numbers.

3) The computer then uses Alice's public key to determine how to sort the digits.

4) The computer then uses Bob's private key to change the message to throw off frequency analysis. For example if 4 appears more frequently than 2, Bob's public key dictates that at least one 4 should be replaced with a number that will now appear more or less frequent than the 4.

5) Alice then sends this message to Bob, whose computer decrypts the message.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

In a public-key scheme, you use the receiver's public key to encrypt the message. The receiver uses his private key for decryption.

Simply subbing more letters to throw off frequency analysis will still be susceptible to more advanced attacks, such as this.

Public-key encryption is very expensive, so usually the sender uses it only to send a small private key, and then use less expensive private encryption to send data.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of algorithm you can come up with, though. We need more details!

Related to Help me develop a public-key system (for fun)

1. How does a public-key system work?

A public-key system is a type of cryptography that uses two different keys, a public key and a private key, to encrypt and decrypt data. The public key is shared with everyone and is used to encrypt messages, while the private key is kept secret and is used to decrypt the messages. This allows for secure communication between parties without needing to share a secret key beforehand.

2. What is the advantage of using a public-key system?

The main advantage of a public-key system is the ability to securely communicate with someone without needing to share a secret key beforehand. This is especially useful for online communication, as it reduces the risk of intercepted messages being decrypted and read by a third party.

3. How is a public-key system different from a traditional encryption method?

A traditional encryption method, also known as symmetric-key encryption, uses the same key for both encryption and decryption. This means that the key needs to be shared between parties beforehand, which can pose a security risk. In contrast, a public-key system uses two different keys for encryption and decryption, making it more secure and easier to manage.

4. Can a public-key system be hacked?

While no system is 100% hack-proof, a properly implemented public-key system is considered very secure. The security of the system relies on the strength of the key, so using a longer and more complex key can make it more difficult to hack. Additionally, regularly updating the keys and following best practices for key management can help to further enhance the security of a public-key system.

5. Can a public-key system be used for other purposes besides encryption?

Yes, a public-key system can also be used for digital signatures and authentication. Digital signatures use the private key to sign a message, providing a way to verify the authenticity of the sender and the integrity of the message. Authentication, on the other hand, uses the public key to verify the identity of the sender. This makes a public-key system a versatile tool for secure communication and data management.