Help me determine a vector that's perpendicular (with work)

In summary: Yes, that's the general idea. But with ##\mathbf{A}## and ##\mathbf{B}## as given I find $$\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B} = \begin{vmatrix} \mathbf{i} & \mathbf{j} & \mathbf{k} \\ 4 & 3 & -2 \\ 2 & -3 & -2 \end{vmatrix} $$gives a slightly different result from yours. So recheck your calculation before working out...Yes, that's the general idea. But with ##\mathbf{A}## and ##\mathbf{
Blockade
Problem: The vectors A and B together define a plane surface. Determine a vector of magnitude 3 that is perpendicular to that surface.

What I am thinking is Vector A is on the x-axis and B is on the y-axis. Therefore, the vector that I must determine, runs along the z-axis which is 90 degrees to that plain.

So, can I say that the answer is: The vector that must be determined is 90 degrees z-axis of x-axis with a magnitude of 3?

Sorry if what I am doing or saying is not even remotely close to the valid answer.

Can you please tell me how to approach this problem, maybe even go through it?

Here is a picture of what I think the Determined Vector of magnitude 3 is:
Picture URL: http://tinypic.com/r/25u16jd/8
http://tinypic.com/r/25u16jd/8

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you studied the cross product of vectors?

Two vectors are perpendicular if their dot product is zero.

fzero said:
Have you studied the cross product of vectors?
No I haven't, I am still learning the basics. I will spend the rest of tonight looking over it.

gracy said:
Two vectors are perpendicular if their dot product is zero.
So |A|*|B|*cos(theta) = 0
cos(theta) = 0 / (|A|*|B|)
theta = arccos(0)
theta = 90 degress
I can say that the VECTOR that is perpendicular to the plane is 90 degrees counterclockwise and have its magnitude = 3?

I think you should rather look at cross product

gracy said:
I think you should rather look at cross product
LOL, yeah I am, thank you.

So I am not sure, but this is what I got.

First I find the cross product of A and B, since it will give me a vector that is perpendicular to both A and B.

A x B = C

And now that I have C in vector components, but from here I am lost. Do I multiply it by 3 since it wants a "vector with a magnitude of 3"?

so 3C = 3*(# i + #j + #k) is my answer?

Can you tell me if this is wrong and explain to me the correct way?

First I find the cross product of A and B, since it will give me a vector that is perpendicular to both A and B.

A x B = C

And now that I have C in vector components, but from here I am lost. Do I multiply it by 3 since it wants a "vector with a magnitude of 3"?so 3C = 3*[#i + #j + #k] is my answer?

You should compute the magnitude of ##\mathbf{C} = \mathbf{A}\times \mathbf{B}##. You can either multiply ##\mathbf{C}## by an appropriate number to obtain a vector with magnitude 3 or derive a unit vector ##\hat{\mathbf{C}}## as an intermediate step and then multply that.

Blockade said:

A x B = C

And now that I have C in vector components, but from here I am lost. Do I multiply it by 3 since it wants a "vector with a magnitude of 3"?so 3C = 3*[#i + #j + #k] is my answer?

This is just about right. However, as Fzero just said, if the magnitude of C is not 1, then 3*C will not have magnitude 3, it will have magnitude 3|C|.

fzero said:
You should compute the magnitude of ##\mathbf{C} = \mathbf{A}\times \mathbf{B}##. You can either multiply ##\mathbf{C}## by an appropriate number to obtain a vector with magnitude 3 or derive a unit vector ##\hat{\mathbf{C}}## as an intermediate step and then multply that.

So for the second method that you mentioned you mean like this?

A: 4i + 3j - 2k
B: 2i - 3j - 2k

AxB = C = i -12j - 18k##\hat{\mathbf{C}}## = C / |C|

3*##\hat{\mathbf{C}}## = 3 * [-12i - 18k / sqrt(468)]

Blockade said:

Yes, that's the general idea. But with ##\mathbf{A}## and ##\mathbf{B}## as given I find
$$\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B} = \begin{vmatrix} \mathbf{i} & \mathbf{j} & \mathbf{k} \\ 4 & 3 & -2 \\ 2 & -3 & -2 \end{vmatrix} $$
gives a slightly different result from yours. So recheck your calculation before working out ##\hat{\mathbf{C}}##.

Blockade said:

Where did your i component go?

Sorry for line "AxB = C = i -12j - 18k", I meant to say AxB = C = 0i -12j - 18k.

I forgot to go back and fix it after realizing my Num Lock was off.

I am not going to lie, I find physics and things associated with the course to be very hard and that I am struggling. Therefore, thank you everyone for you guys' help.

I don't think you are handling the negatives properly.
fzero said:
But with ##\mathbf{A}## and ##\mathbf{B}## as given I find
$$\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B} = \begin{vmatrix} \mathbf{i} & \mathbf{j} & \mathbf{k} \\ 4 & 3 & -2 \\ 2 & -3 & -2 \end{vmatrix} $$
gives a slightly different result from yours. So recheck your calculation before working out ##\hat{\mathbf{C}}##.
I also get a different result.

You are right, I am going to redo that.

Related to Help me determine a vector that's perpendicular (with work)

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector and its length represents the magnitude.

2. What does it mean for two vectors to be perpendicular?

Two vectors are perpendicular if they intersect at a right angle (90 degrees). This means that their dot product is equal to zero.

3. How do I determine if two vectors are perpendicular?

To determine if two vectors are perpendicular, you can find their dot product. If the dot product is equal to zero, then the vectors are perpendicular.

4. How do I find a vector that is perpendicular to a given vector?

To find a vector that is perpendicular to a given vector, you can use the cross product. The result of the cross product will be perpendicular to both the given vector and the vector you are finding.

5. Can a vector be perpendicular to itself?

No, a vector cannot be perpendicular to itself. In order for two vectors to be perpendicular, they must have different directions and cannot be parallel to each other.