Help me decide applied math degree.

In summary, it is important to research and consider the reputation and accreditation of a college and their math program, as well as seek insights from current students or alumni, when deciding between a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree in the field of applied mathematics. Ultimately, your dedication and hard work will play a larger role in your future success. Keep asking questions and seeking information to make the best decision for yourself.
Race
Hello everyone, I just discovered these forums and love them to death. Anyway, I was hoping you could all help me on something. The age-old BS or BA question.

I am currently "attending" a college's online degree program for a Bachelor of Science degree with a concentration in applied mathematics; but the online format simply isn't working for me (it isn't that I don't like figuring things out for myself but I feel I am paying for more than just "here's a textbook have fun"... oops, that's complaining). The point is, I'm transferring to a physical location now. I've toured several local colleges, and currently I'm looking into Kings College in Wilkes Barre. They mention their math degrees prepare their students with backgrounds in both pure and applied mathematics, and they have all the courses in my current applied-math degree plan, however in the end I receive a Bachelor of Arts mathematics degree (based on my understanding. If anyone here knows more about Kings College and this degree specifically I'd appreciate any input!).

My concern is that, in the applied field, a Bachelor of Arts is not what I need. I would think a pure mathematics program could go either way but for applied? Would a BA instead of a BS affect me negatively in the future?

Sorry about the long post. :D

Physics news on Phys.org

I am glad to hear that you have found these forums and are seeking help with your academic journey. I understand the importance of choosing the right degree program and the impact it can have on your future career.

First, let me address your concern about the difference between a Bachelor of Science (BS) and a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree. While there may be some differences in the specific courses and requirements for each degree, both are considered undergraduate degrees and are generally recognized as equal in the workforce. The main difference between the two is that a BS degree typically has a stronger emphasis on math and science courses, while a BA degree may have a broader liberal arts focus.

In terms of your specific situation, it is important to consider the reputation and accreditation of the college and their math program. Kings College has a good reputation for their math program and it sounds like they offer the courses you need for your desired concentration in applied math. It is always a good idea to research and ask about the specific courses and opportunities available within the program to ensure it aligns with your goals and interests.

Additionally, I would suggest reaching out to current students or alumni from the program to get their perspectives and insights on their experiences and how their degree has helped them in their careers. This can give you a better understanding of the potential impact of a BA degree versus a BS degree in the field of applied mathematics.

Ultimately, the most important factor in your future success will be your dedication and hard work in your studies and gaining practical experience through internships or research opportunities. A degree, whether it is a BA or BS, is just one aspect of your overall qualifications.

I wish you the best of luck in your academic pursuits and future career in applied mathematics. Keep asking questions and seeking information to make the best decision for yourself. Science is all about curiosity and finding the answers, so don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.

I can understand your dilemma and appreciate your desire to make an informed decision about your degree. In terms of the BS or BA question, it ultimately depends on your career goals and what you plan to do with your degree.

A Bachelor of Science degree typically focuses more on technical and scientific skills, while a Bachelor of Arts degree may have a broader, more interdisciplinary approach. In the field of applied mathematics, both degrees can be valuable and relevant. A BS degree may provide more specialized and practical skills for a career in industry or research, while a BA degree may offer a more well-rounded education that could be beneficial for a career in teaching or other areas.

In terms of your concern about a BA degree not being as valuable in the applied field, I would say that it ultimately depends on the specific job or career path you are pursuing. Employers often value skills and experience more than the specific degree title. Additionally, many universities and colleges offer the option to specialize within a BA program, so you may still be able to tailor your education to focus on applied mathematics.

I would recommend researching the specific courses and opportunities offered within the BA program at Kings College and seeing if they align with your career goals. You can also reach out to alumni or current students in the program to get their insights and experiences. Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose a program that will provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to achieve your career goals.

Related to Help me decide applied math degree.

1. What is applied mathematics?

Applied mathematics is the application of mathematical principles and techniques to solve real-world problems and address practical issues in various fields such as engineering, physics, biology, and finance.

2. What career opportunities are available with an applied math degree?

An applied math degree can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including data analyst, actuary, operations research analyst, financial analyst, and research scientist. It also provides a strong foundation for graduate studies in fields such as engineering, economics, and computer science.

3. What skills do I need to succeed in an applied math degree?

To succeed in an applied math degree, you should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. It is also beneficial to have good computer skills and the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively.

4. Is an applied math degree a good choice for me?

If you enjoy solving challenging problems using mathematical principles and have a strong interest in applying math to real-world situations, then an applied math degree may be a good choice for you. It is also a versatile degree that can lead to various career opportunities in different industries.

5. What are the core courses in an applied math degree?

The core courses in an applied math degree typically include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, probability and statistics, and numerical analysis. You may also have the opportunity to take elective courses in areas such as optimization, mathematical modeling, and data analysis.