Help Me Calculate How high SuperMan can Jump

In summary: Using the equations of motion, we can find the time taken for him to reach this point, which can then be substituted to find the height of the building.In summary, the second part of the question asks for the height of a building that Superman can leap using given initial velocities in the x and y direction and assuming his mass is 100kg. To solve this, one can use projectile motion equations and the fact that at the highest point of his jump, Superman's vertical velocity is zero.
theoblivin8r

Homework Statement

This is a semester review. I am having trouble starting the second part of this question. It is well-know fact that Superman is "faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound." Assume his mass is 100kg.

The first part we are given his initial velocity as 181 m/s. That is one meter faster than a characteristic bullet. His jump takes off at a 86.9 degree angle. What are his initial velocities in the x and y direction. No trouble here.

V(xinitial)=1.26 m/s
V(yinitial)=180.99 m/s

The second part asks how tall of a building can he leap using the above data.

Homework Equations

Y=Yinitial)+V(yinitial)(time)+1/2Ay*(time^2)

V(yfinal)^2=V(yinitial)^2+Ay(X-Xinital)

V(yfinal)=V(yinitial)+Ay*Time

The Attempt at a Solution

I have his initial velocities in the x and y direction. I am confused on how to solve for a final velocity without knowing time or the final velocity in the y direction. I am thinking that since I have two unknowns I might have to rearrange and equation and substitute it into another one to solve for one unknown. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint: when superman is at the highest point in his jump, his vertical velocity (let's call this his "y velocity") is zero. (He starts with a positive y velocity, and if his y velocity were positive at the peak of his jump, he'd keep going up--so it wouldn't be the peak of his jump). So you can use V_y=0 for your final velocity. The horizontal or x velocity doesn't really matter in this problem, since it stays constant throughout. Honestly, including a small x velocity in this problem is probably just meant to confuse you.

However, I think there's an easier way to solve this problem. Use kinetic and potential energies.

Thanks for the hint. I had missed that key information. I have to solve this using projectile motion and not energy so thanks anyway. I'll post questions if I have anymore.

When the super man reaches the highest point of the building, his Vy(final) can be taken as zero.

Related to Help Me Calculate How high SuperMan can Jump

1. How high can Superman jump?

Superman's leaping ability has been shown to vary throughout the years, but it is generally accepted that he can jump at least one mile high, or 5,280 feet.

2. What factors affect Superman's jumping ability?

Superman's jumping ability is dependent on his strength, speed, and the planet he is currently on. His strength and speed allow him to launch himself into the air, and the gravity of the planet affects how high he can jump.

3. Can Superman jump higher than other superheroes?

It is difficult to compare Superman's jumping ability to other superheroes, as they all have different powers and abilities. However, it is safe to say that Superman's leaping ability is one of the strongest among superheroes.

4. How does Superman's jumping ability compare to his flying ability?

Superman's flying ability is much more versatile and powerful than his jumping ability. He can fly at supersonic speeds and travel great distances, whereas his jumping ability is limited by the strength of his legs and the planet's gravity.

5. Is there a limit to how high Superman can jump?

There is no definitive limit to how high Superman can jump, as it often depends on the specific comic book or storyline. However, it is generally accepted that he cannot jump higher than the Earth's atmosphere, which is approximately 62 miles high.