Help -- Linear to rotary motion, cw and ccw direction

In summary, the person is working on a home project to create a vehicle that can move forward, backward, and turn using a control device. They are using linear actuators and compressed air as a power source, but have not been successful in transforming linear motion to rotary motion for their wheels to move both clockwise and counterclockwise. They are seeking ideas for a mechanism to switch between these motions based on input from the control device. A suggestion to look into the mechanism used in old steam railroad locomotives is made.
Fphy91
Hello,im doing a home project. I have an idea to make a venchile which will move back and forward as well as turn. Its something that i will be able to control with control device,if i press forward it goes forward etc. The thing is that i want to make it with linear actuators,cylinders(compressed air as power source). I haven't been succesfull with transforming linear motion to rotary so that my wheels can move clockwise(CW) and counter clockwise(CCW),i only mannaged to make it rotate in one way when i give input signal. I need a mechanism to switch beetween cw and ccw motion depending on signal given by device i hold in my hands. If u have any ideas how the mechanism should look like post here drawing or something to help this project become alive. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why can't you use a rotary air motor? Makes things much simpler.

Fphy91 said:
Hello,im doing a home project. I have an idea to make a venchile which will move back and forward as well as turn. Its something that i will be able to control with control device,if i press forward it goes forward etc. The thing is that i want to make it with linear actuators,cylinders(compressed air as power source). I haven't been succesfull with transforming linear motion to rotary so that my wheels can move clockwise(CW) and counter clockwise(CCW),i only mannaged to make it rotate in one way when i give input signal. I need a mechanism to switch beetween cw and ccw motion depending on signal given by device i hold in my hands. If u have any ideas how the mechanism should look like post here drawing or something to help this project become alive. Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

How did the old steam railroad locomotives change between forward and backward motion (I don't know the answer, but it seems applicable to your project). If you find out, can you just use a mechanism like they used on those old steam-powered locomotives to convert from piston back-and-forth motion to turning the wheels?

It seems difficult to achieve with just one linear actuator; it may stop at a dead centre and get stuck. Billy-joule's suggestion seems a good approach.

Related to Help -- Linear to rotary motion, cw and ccw direction

What is linear motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, without changing direction.

What is rotary motion?

Rotary motion is the movement of an object around an axis or pivot point, in a circular or curved path.

What is the difference between cw and ccw direction?

CW stands for clockwise, which is a direction of rotation where an object moves in the same direction as the hands of a clock. CCW stands for counterclockwise, which is the opposite direction of rotation. The direction of rotation is dependent on the perspective of the observer.

How can linear motion be converted to rotary motion?

This can be achieved through the use of various mechanisms such as gears, pulleys, or cams. These mechanisms can transfer the linear movement of an object into a rotary motion.

What are some real-life applications of converting linear to rotary motion?

Some common examples include the gears in a bicycle, the pulley systems in elevators, and the camshaft in a car engine. These mechanisms allow for the efficient transfer of linear motion into rotary motion for various purposes.