Help! I'm Struggling with Physics: Seeking a Tutor

In summary, struggling with physics can be a daunting and frustrating experience, but seeking a tutor can greatly improve understanding and confidence in the subject. A tutor can provide personalized instruction and practice problems, helping to bridge any knowledge gaps and clarify difficult concepts. With the help of a tutor, students can develop effective study habits and improve their grades in physics.
tidalwav1990
I've become completely hopeless. I've started honors physics but fell behind way too quick and have been stringing along for a month now since vectors began being taught. This is abnormal for me as everything has always come easy for me. Our teacher is no help and I'm looking for a tutor. I start my question like this because I need simple answers and any side info on basic physics is greatly appreciated. I also become heavily confused when graphs and x,y coordinates become in use.

Homework Statement

The coefficient of static friction between the 3.00 kg crate and the 35.0 degree incline is .300. What is the magnitude of the minimum force, F, that must be applied to the crate perpendicular to the incline to prevent the crate from sliding down the incline.

Homework Equations

F=M*A---------------Fs=Ms*N
F=force--------------Fs=Force of static friction
M=mass--------------Ms=Coefficient of static friction
A=acceleration--------N=Normal Force

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm so sorry, i don't even know where to begin.
By the way I know the answer is 32.2N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With a mass on an incline, the weight (mg) points vertically downward. This force (vector) can be resolved into one component parallel with the incline and component normal to the incline. When friction is present, it opposes the direction of motion, so the friction component points up the incline.

Now the friction force is proportional to the normal force of an object and that proportionality constant is the coefficient of friction [itex]\mu[/itex].

If the friction force due to the normal component of the weight is less than the parallel component the of the weight, it will slide. Then one has to add another normal force to increase the friction and hold the crate in place.

This reference might help - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/N2st.html#c2

First of all, it's completely normal to struggle with a subject like physics. It's a complex and challenging subject, and even the most intelligent individuals can run into difficulties. It's great that you recognize the need for a tutor and are taking the necessary steps to improve your understanding of the material.

To start, let's break down the problem into smaller parts. The question is asking for the minimum force, F, needed to prevent the crate from sliding down the incline. To find this, we need to use the equation F=Ms*N, where Ms is the coefficient of static friction and N is the normal force. The normal force is the force exerted by the incline on the crate, perpendicular to the surface.

Next, we need to find the normal force. To do this, we can use the equation N=mg*cos(theta), where m is the mass of the crate, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle of the incline. Plugging in the values given in the problem, we get N=3.00kg*9.8m/s^2*cos(35 degrees)=24.23N.

Now that we have the normal force, we can use the equation F=Ms*N to find the minimum force needed to prevent the crate from sliding. Plugging in the given value for the coefficient of static friction, we get F=0.300*24.23N=7.27N. This is the minimum force needed to prevent the crate from sliding down the incline.

I understand that graphs and x,y coordinates can be confusing, but they are simply tools to help us visualize and understand the relationships between different variables. I would recommend practicing with some basic graphing problems to get more comfortable with them.

I hope this explanation helps and that you are able to find a tutor who can provide you with the support and guidance you need to succeed in physics. Don't give up, keep practicing and seeking help when needed. You can do this!

Related to Help! I'm Struggling with Physics: Seeking a Tutor

What is physics?

Physics is the scientific study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe.

Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand the natural world around us and enables us to make technological advancements. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, medicine, and environmental science.

What topics are typically covered in a physics course?

A typical physics course will cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. These topics can range from basic concepts to more complex theories and equations.

What should I look for in a physics tutor?

When seeking a physics tutor, it is important to find someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the subject. They should also have good communication skills and be able to explain complex concepts in a way that is easy to understand. It is also helpful to find a tutor who has experience teaching students at your level.

How often should I meet with a physics tutor?

The frequency of tutoring sessions will depend on your individual needs and goals. Some students may benefit from meeting with a tutor once a week, while others may need more frequent sessions. It is important to communicate with your tutor and come up with a schedule that works best for you.