Help for interpreting Opamps on a schematic

In summary, the circuit has two identical op-amps, one resistor is too high, and there are some errors on the circuit board.
eigenmax
Hello,
I've been doing electronics for a while now, and only recently started using ICs. I have no problem with the 555 timer (I've used it in several circuits), but recently found and attempted the construction of a few circuits with the LM358 op-amp. On each there were two triangles, which I know represented the ICs. But when I saw an image of the circuit, I could only see one chip. I also noticed that none of the pins are repeated. Are both triangles one actual chip? Are the two triangles just ways to represent a single, physical chip?
Here's the circuit I was constructing.
ionsens2.gif

Attachments

• ionsens2.gif
    ionsens2.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,989
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, that chip has two identical OpAmps inside.

Some chips even has four. On schematics, you have to be careful with the power pins, since sometimes they are represented by a third (fifth) triangle (one without the usual input-output pins).

Likes jim hardy
Thank you, Rive! So that 1M, 10k resistor network is simply connected between pin 7 and 1. Thanks!

Be careful, this schematic is not a simple one. Was there any build instructions around where it come from?

Likes jim hardy
I question the 100,000 megohm resistor. I once needed a 100 megohm resistor and had difficulty finding one.

Likes berkeman
skeptic2 said:
I question the 100,000 megohm resistor. I once needed a 100 megohm resistor and had difficulty finding one.
Yeah, and there's a pretty serious error at pin 3 of the opamp external circuit. I'd make it a Quiz Question for the OP, but he's already said he is fairly new to electronics.

@eigenmax -- for potentiometers (the adjustable resistor connected to pin 3 of the opamp), there is usually a minimum wiper current specified in the datasheet to ensure reliable operation over the lifetime of the circuit that uses the potentiometer. If this minimum wiper current is not met, the wiper connection to the resistor inside can corrode over time, making the contact unreliable. So it is generally a design error to connect just the input of an opamp to the wiper of a pot. The opamp inputs generally do not have a high enough Input Current to meet the minimum wiper current spec. As an exercise, can you check the datasheet for a typical pot that might be used in this circuit, and compare that to the Input Current (not the Input Offset Current) spec for that opamp in its datasheet? Let us know what you find.

Likes dlgoff and Asymptotic
skeptic2 said:
Google up "glass Victoreen resistor". Not an easy find...

I guess the source of the circuit is this: http://www.techlib.com/science/ionpage2.html
Should be a working model, but sure not a professional design...

Ps.: and also sure not for beginners...

Likes Paul Colby, Asymptotic and berkeman
I stand corrected. I had no idea they existed.

skeptic2 said:
I'm guessing that they can only be used inside hermetically sealed enclosures that have been evacuated or have extremely low humidity...

skeptic2 said:
Not a common stuff. That page makes a good read. Things like this:
Make sure that no epoxy touches the center lead of the transistor (base lead). The epoxy is too conductive!
The resistance there is waaaay higher than what a common fingerprint has...

Sorry for the late reply. I'm using an old 100M resistor I removed from a broken piece of old electronics. I built the circuit, but realized my meter was probably not nearly sensitive enough (old analog 1-6V meter). I'll check the potentiometer thing now.

The current from your ion chamber is so feeble it's easy for it to get lost.
I'd keep this junction up in the air, not touching the board.
ionization_chamber.jpg

I don't recognize that partial arc symbol - perhaps a guard if on the circuit board?
or perhaps a metal shield covering those connections to prevent pickup of line frequency 'hum'.?

Measuring picoamps is difficult at best. Here's a snip from TI electrometer amplifier datasheet
upload_2018-5-9_5-58-18.png

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa128.pdfhere's a TI app note about working with high impedance circuits
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snoa664/snoa664.pdf
upload_2018-5-9_6-4-30.png
Good Luck !

old jim

Attachments

• ionization_chamber.jpg
    ionization_chamber.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,504
  • upload_2018-5-9_5-58-18.png
    upload_2018-5-9_5-58-18.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,138
  • upload_2018-5-9_6-4-30.png
    upload_2018-5-9_6-4-30.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,238
Likes dlgoff, berkeman and Asymptotic
jim hardy said:
The current from your ion chamber is so feeble it's easy for it to get lost.
I'd keep this junction up in the air, not touching the board.
View attachment 225441
I don't recognize that partial arc symbol - perhaps a guard if on the circuit board?
or perhaps a metal shield covering those connections to prevent pickup of line frequency 'hum'.?

Measuring picoamps is difficult at best. Here's a snip from TI electrometer amplifier datasheet
View attachment 225443

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa128.pdfhere's a TI app note about working with high impedance circuits
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snoa664/snoa664.pdf
View attachment 225444Good Luck !

old jim
The arc symbol is the FET casing I believe.

eigenmax said:
The arc symbol is the FET casing I believe.
Good catch !

upload_2018-5-13_19-15-40.png

Thanks !

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-13_19-15-40.png
    upload_2018-5-13_19-15-40.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 711
eigenmax said:
Sorry for the late reply. I'm using an old 100M resistor I removed from a broken piece of old electronics. I built the circuit, but realized my meter was probably not nearly sensitive enough (old analog 1-6V meter). I'll check the potentiometer thing now.
The origin of this thing far predates DVMs, so unless it is some extreme insensitive meter, you should be able to see something after some fiddling.

However, I think it would be better to repeat some of the experiments on the first page first to get familiar with the requirements and results.
Also, that resistor really is 100GOhm... And you should build this thing so that 100GOhm would fit in.

Related to Help for interpreting Opamps on a schematic

1. What is an opamp and why is it important on a schematic?

An opamp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It is important on a schematic because it is used in various electronic circuits to perform mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, and integration.

2. How do I interpret the symbols used for opamps on a schematic?

The most common symbol for an opamp on a schematic is a triangle with two input pins and one output pin. The positive input pin is denoted with a "+" sign and the negative input pin with a "-" sign. The output pin is usually denoted with a small arrow pointing away from the triangle. Other symbols, such as a circle with a plus sign inside, may also be used.

3. What do the numbers and letters on an opamp on a schematic mean?

The numbers and letters on an opamp denote its specific characteristics, such as its model number, manufacturer, and specifications. These can vary depending on the opamp used in the circuit. It is important to refer to the datasheet for the specific opamp to fully understand its parameters.

4. How do I determine the power supply requirements for an opamp on a schematic?

The power supply requirements for an opamp can usually be found in its datasheet. It is important to ensure that the opamp is supplied with the correct voltage and current to operate properly in the circuit. In some cases, multiple opamps may share the same power supply, so it is important to calculate the total power supply requirements for the circuit.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when interpreting opamps on a schematic?

One common mistake is assuming that all opamps are the same and can be used interchangeably. Each opamp has its own unique characteristics and specifications, so it is important to choose the correct opamp for the specific circuit. Another mistake is not paying attention to the power supply requirements, as using the wrong voltage or current can damage the opamp or affect the performance of the circuit.