Help finding the spring constant in a magnetic field

In summary: The length of the side of the current in which we are concerned with in opposing the spring is the length of the side of the loop minus the height of the loop.I used the length of the side of the current in which we are concerned with in opposing the spring because it is the side of the loop that is carrying the current.
enforcer53

Homework Statement

Consider a wire loop in a 1.88 T magnetic field (coming out of the board at a 55.0° angle). The loop is 0.300 m tall and 0.400 m wide, carrying a 2.90 A current traveling in a clockwise direction. The loop feels a torque that causes the spring to compress. If the spring is compressed by 4.30 mm, what is the spring constant?

The attempt at a solution
This is what i tried. I don't feel I am getting the right answer.

Torque is T = IABsinθ
(2.90 A)(0.120 m^2)(1.88 T)sin(55.0) =0.536

I know that Torque is also = Frsinθ
I then rearranged the formula to get F = Torque/rsinθ (0.536)/(0.15)(sin55) = 4.36 = F

I plug my Force value into the F=kx formula. In order to find k, I did (4.36)/(0.0043) which gave me k = 1013.9

This does not seem correct to me. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi enforcer53,

I think we'd need to see the diagram.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the diagrams

Attachments

• 2013-04-30 00.30.52.jpg
    2013-04-30 00.30.52.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 689
Okay. Where did you get this equation from:
Torque is T = IABsinθ

If you resolve B into a component normal to the plane of the loop and a component within the plane of the loop, you will, I think, see that as far as the current-carrying-loop is concerned, only one side contributes a force which the spring can oppose.

I got the IABsinθ equation from class. I gave this problem another try.

I set it up so Kx = ILBsinθ. I rearranged to get K = ILBsinθ/x... Plug and chug (2.90)(0.400)(1.88)(sin55)/(0.0043) = 415.4

Am I getting closer?

How did you decide what value to use for L?

The dimensions of the loop are 0.400 and 0.300. So I used the length of 0.400

enforcer53 said:
Why did you decide on 0.400?

enforcer53 said:

Ah, but what is the length of the side of the current in which we are concerned with in opposing the spring?

Related to Help finding the spring constant in a magnetic field

What is a spring constant?

A spring constant is a measure of how stiff a spring is. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

How does a magnetic field affect a spring?

A magnetic field can cause a spring to either stretch or compress, depending on the direction of the magnetic force. This is due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the current flowing through the spring.

Why is it important to find the spring constant in a magnetic field?

Finding the spring constant in a magnetic field allows us to accurately predict the behavior of the spring in different magnetic environments. It also helps us understand the relationship between magnetic fields and mechanical forces.

What is the formula for finding the spring constant in a magnetic field?

The formula for calculating the spring constant in a magnetic field is K = F/x, where K is the spring constant, F is the force applied to the spring, and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

What are some methods for finding the spring constant in a magnetic field?

There are a few methods for finding the spring constant in a magnetic field, including using Hooke's Law and measuring the displacement of the spring under different magnetic forces, or using a torsion balance to measure the torque on the spring in a magnetic field.