Help finding the equation of a tangent plane

In summary, a tangent plane is a flat surface that touches a curved surface at one point and is used in mathematics to approximate the behavior of a function at a specific point. To find the equation of a tangent plane, you will need the coordinates of the point of tangency and the partial derivatives of the function. It cannot be used to approximate any function and is important because it allows us to approximate the behavior of a function at a specific point for various applications.
cherryyosh
Let [itex]F: R^2 \rightarrow R^4[/itex] be
$$F(x,y) = (x^3y,sin(xy),3,xy^3)$$

i) Find the Jacobian matrix of F at (1, pi)
ii) What is the local linear approximation to F at (1, pi)?
iii) Write the equation of the tangent plane to the graph of F(1,pi)
iv)use ii) to compute (0.99, pi+.001) approximately

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for i) I got the jacobian being $$\left(\begin{array} 3\pi & 1 \\ -\pi & -1 \\ 0 & 0 \\ \pi^3 & 3\pi^2 \end{array} \right) $$

With a Linear approximation of
$$\left(\begin{array} 3\pi x + y - 3\pi \\ -\pi x - y + 2\pi \\ 3 \\ \pi^3 x + 3\pi^2 y - 3 \pi^3 \end{array} \right) $$

But I am not sure where to go from here to get the tangent plane equation. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

For iii) The equation of the tangent plane to the graph of F(1,pi) would be:
$$z = 3\pi + 2\pi^2(y-\pi) $$

For iv) To compute (0.99, pi+.001) approximately, we can use the linear approximation from part ii) by plugging in the values of x=0.99 and y=pi+.001 into the linear approximation equation. This would give us an approximate value for F(0.99,pi+.001).

Related to Help finding the equation of a tangent plane

1. What is a tangent plane?

A tangent plane is a flat surface that touches a curved surface at only one point, called the point of tangency. It is used in mathematics to approximate the behavior of a function at a specific point.

2. How do I find the equation of a tangent plane?

The equation of a tangent plane can be found by using the partial derivative with respect to both x and y, and then plugging in the coordinates of the point of tangency into the equation.

3. What information do I need to find the equation of a tangent plane?

In order to find the equation of a tangent plane, you will need the coordinates of the point of tangency and the partial derivatives of the function with respect to both x and y.

4. Can a tangent plane be used to approximate any function?

No, a tangent plane can only be used to approximate the behavior of a function at a specific point. If the function is highly nonlinear or has a complex shape, the tangent plane may not accurately represent the function's behavior.

5. Why is the equation of a tangent plane important?

The equation of a tangent plane is important because it allows us to approximate the behavior of a function at a specific point, which can be useful in many applications such as optimization, curve fitting, and determining critical points.