Help finding the directed vector of a plane

In summary: Using the determinant,<1 1 -11 2 -3i j kwe get i(2-(-3))- j(1+3)+ k(1-2)= 5i- 4j- k. So the equation of the plane containing the line and point is, using the plane point form, 5(x- 1)- 4(y- 3)- (z+ 2)= 0 or 5x- 4y- z- 5+ 12+ 2= 5x- 4y- z+ 9= 0. In summary, the question is asking for a Cartesian equation of a plane passing through a given
zecuria

Homework Statement

If the line l is given by the equations 2x-y+z=0, x+z-1=0, and if M is the point (1,3,-2), fine a Cartesian equation of the plane,

(a) passing through M and l

I don't get how I can find the directed vector of the plane

Homework Equations

This is a past paper question so the answer is given as x-2y-z+3=0
However I don't know how to get there.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to get the solution assuming (2,-1,1) to be the directed vector and hence putting it into the equation,

2(x-1)-1(y-3)+(z+2)=0

However I get the wrong result so help regarding how to get the directed vector would help

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you assume a directed vector of (2,-1,1), while you have no idea of what it actually is?
Therefore, why don't you instead assume that the directed vector is (a,b,c),
and try to find out what a and b and c might be.
(note: the length of the directed vector is arbitrary: only it direction matters)

First, I must admit that I have no idea what you mean by "the directed vector of the plane". I would think of a vector determining or determined by a plane to be a normal or perpendicular vector to the plane. But there exist an infinite number of such vectors of different lengths. And certainly not "directed" because such normal vectors could be in either of two directions.

I would do this: subtracting the second equation, x+ z= 1, from the first, 2x- y+ z= 0 eliminates z and gives x- y= -1 or y= x+ 1. Taking x= t, we get the parametric equations for the line x= t, y= t+ 1, z= -t+ 1. That line has direction vector <1, 1, -1>, the coefficients of the parameter. (Or: taking x= 0, from x+ z= 1, z= 1 and then 2x- y+ z= 0 becomes 2(0)- y+ 1= 0 so y= 1; one point on the line is (0, 1, 1). Taking x= 1, from x+ z= 1, z= 0 and then 2x- y+ z= 0 becomes 2- y+ 0= 0 so y= 2; another point on the line is (1, 2, 0). The vector from one point to the other is <1- 0, 2- 1, 0- 1>= <1, 1, -1> again.). A vector from the point (0, 1, 1), on the line, to the given point, M= (1, 3, -2), is <1- 0, 3- 1, -2- 1>= <1, 2, -3>. The cross product of those two vectors, both lying in the plane, will give a vector perpendicular to the plane (which is what I presume you mean by the "directed vector of the plane").

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Help finding the directed vector of a plane

1. What is a directed vector of a plane?

A directed vector of a plane is a vector that represents the direction in which the plane is facing. It is usually represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the plane's normal vector.

2. How do I find the directed vector of a plane?

To find the directed vector of a plane, you first need to determine the normal vector of the plane. This can be done by finding the cross product of two non-parallel vectors in the plane. Once you have the normal vector, you can represent the directed vector by placing an arrow on the normal vector in the direction that the plane is facing.

3. Why is it important to find the directed vector of a plane?

The directed vector of a plane is important because it helps us understand the orientation and direction of the plane in three-dimensional space. It is also useful in various mathematical and physical applications, such as calculating the angle between two planes or determining the equation of a plane.

4. Can the directed vector of a plane be negative?

Yes, the directed vector of a plane can be negative. The direction of the vector is determined by the direction of the plane's normal vector, which can point in any direction in three-dimensional space. This means that the directed vector can also have negative components.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding the directed vector of a plane?

Yes, there are alternative methods for finding the directed vector of a plane. One method is to use the dot product of the normal vector and a vector in the plane to determine the direction of the directed vector. Another method is to use the angle between the plane and a reference plane to determine the direction of the directed vector.