Help finding Constants for Taylor Series

In summary: The original statement was just an observation. It doesn't specify anything about the limit.I was aware that the expansion for ln(1+x) was just an approximation for small x, but I wasn't familiar with the specifics of its speed of convergence.In summary, the Taylor expansion of ln(1+x) has terms which decay as 1/n. By choosing an appropriate constant 'c', the Taylor series of (1+cx)ln(1+x) can be made to decay as 1/n2. This can be achieved by substituting the Taylor series for ln(1+x) into the expression (1+cx)ln(1+x) and rearranging the coefficients to get a general expression for each coefficient.
jtleafs33

Homework Statement

The Taylor expansion of ln(1+x) has terms which decay as 1/n.
Show, that by choosing an appropriate constant 'c', the Taylor series of
(1+cx)ln(1+x)
can be made to decay as 1/n2
(assuming expansion about x=0)

Homework Equations

f(x)=[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n=\infty}_{n=0}[/itex] f(n)(0) [itex]\frac{x^{n}}{n!}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Maple to differentiate this function and find values at x=0 for several derivative:

f(0)(0) = 0
f(1)(0) = 1
f(2)(0) = 2c-1
f(3)(0) = -3c+2
f(4)(0) = 8c-6
f(5)(0) = -30c+24

f(x)=[itex]\frac{(0)x^{0}}{0!}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{(1)x^{1}}{1!}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{(2c-1)x^{2}}{2!}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{(-3c+2)x^{3}}{3!}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{(8c-6)x^{4}}{4!}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{(-30c+24)x^{5}}{5!}[/itex] ...

This is where I'm stuck... In order to get the terms decaying as 1/n2, I get different values of c for each term...

c0=1
c1=1
c2=[itex]\frac{3}{4}[/itex]
c3=[itex]\frac{8}{9}[/itex]
c4=[itex]\frac{15}{16}[/itex]
c5=[itex]\frac{24}{25}[/itex]

And I need one constant c that will do it all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you construct the Taylor series for ln(1+x)?
In what way do the coefficients decay as 1/n?

Try simplifying the coefficients in your Taylor series to see if you can find a trend. Also, you can avoid the laborious task of calculating derivatives if you approach this another way. Hint: try substituting the Taylor series for ln(1+x) into the expression (1+cx)ln(1+x).

P.S. There's no point trying to set each coefficient equal to 1/n^2. You won't get the coefficients to EQUAL 1/n^2, but you should be able to get them to decay at the same rate as 1/n^2.

I did the differentiation method to more easily see the trend myself.
I know ln(1+x)=[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n=\infty}_{n=1}[/itex](-1)[itex]^{n+1}[/itex][itex]\frac{x^{n}}{n}[/itex]

Also, the taylor expansion of a polynomial is just that polynomial
So, (1+cx)ln(1+x)=[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n=\infty}_{n=1}[/itex](-1)[itex]^{n+1}[/itex][itex]\frac{(1+cx)x^{n}}{n}[/itex]

Rearranging this, I can get a general expression for each coefficient:
an=(-1)n+1([itex]\frac{c}{n-1}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex])

But I'm stuck and don't know how to go about choosing this c. I'd imagine I'm going to need an equation which somehow relates an to an+1 and then solve for c, but I don't know what to do.

I need to figure this out and really understand it, because I also have to do the same thing to make the function
(1+ax+bx2)ln(1+x) decay as 1/n3

jtleafs33 said:
Rearranging this, I can get a general expression for each coefficient:
an=(-1)n+1([itex]\frac{c}{n-1}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex])
OK, this looks promising. Let's rearrange it a bit:
[tex]a_n = (-1)^{n+1}\left( \frac{nc - (n-1)}{n(n-1)} \right) =
(-1)^{n+1}\left(\frac{n(c-1) + 1}{n^2 - n}\right)[/tex]
This should give you a pretty good idea what [itex]c[/itex] should be.

Last edited:
So, now I'm trying to solve this expression, substituting your equation into

[itex]\frac{1/n^2}{1/(n+1)^2}[/itex]=an/an+1

But this will still give different C's for different n's. I don't understand how I can find one exact c that will work for all n's. I still don't understand what to do with the equations I have.

jtleafs33 said:
So, now I'm trying to solve this expression, substituting your equation into

[itex]\frac{1/n^2}{1/(n+1)^2}[/itex]=an/an+1
You won't be able to achieve this for every [itex]n[/itex], but you don't need to. "Decays as [itex]1/n^2[/itex]" means that this is true asymptotically (in the limit).

Suppose I take [itex]c = 1[/itex]. Then
[tex]|a_{n}| = \frac{1}{n^2 - n}[/tex]
Clearly if [itex]n[/itex] is large, then the [itex]n^2[/itex] in the denominator is the dominant term, so asymptotically, [itex]|a_n|[/itex] decays like [itex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex].

Equivalently,
[tex]|a_{n}| = \frac{1}{n(n-1)}[/tex]
For large [itex]n[/itex], the distinction between [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]n-1[/itex] is negligible, so [itex]\frac{1}{n(n-1)}[/itex] is almost the same as [itex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex].

Now see if you can make this precise. Hint: try to quantify the relative error between [itex]\frac{1}{n(n-1)}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex].

Last edited:
Okay, that's exactly what I needed.

When I started the post and found a few values of c for various n, I immediately saw that c approached 1 as n approached infinity. Basically, I've been trying to make things work exactly, but I didn't realize I really just need to make things approach that behavior in the limit.

Thanks!

jtleafs33 said:
Okay, that's exactly what I needed.

When I started the post and found a few values of c for various n, I immediately saw that c approached 1 as n approached infinity. Basically, I've been trying to make things work exactly, but I didn't realize I really just need to make things approach that behavior in the limit.

Thanks!

Right, terminology like "such and such decays as so and so" pretty much universally means "in the limit". I edited my above comment with a hint regarding how to quantify this.

Wasn't there a clue in the expansion for ln(1+x) to that effect? Does the expansion decay exactly as 1/n or just sort-of (in the limit) like that?

Related to Help finding Constants for Taylor Series

1. What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a polynomial multiple of the input variable. It is used to approximate a function and can be used to calculate values of the function at points where it is difficult or impossible to do so directly.

2. Why are constants needed for a Taylor Series?

Constants are needed for a Taylor Series because they determine the shape and behavior of the function being approximated. These constants, also known as the Taylor coefficients, help to improve the accuracy of the approximation and allow for a more precise representation of the original function.

3. How do I find the constants for a Taylor Series?

The constants for a Taylor Series can be found by using the formula for the Taylor coefficients, which involves taking derivatives of the function at a specific point. The number of derivatives needed to find the constants depends on the degree of the Taylor Series and the complexity of the function.

4. Can I use any function for a Taylor Series?

In theory, any function can be represented as a Taylor Series. However, the series may not converge or may not accurately represent the function for certain values. It is important to consider the domain of the function and the desired level of accuracy when choosing a function for a Taylor Series approximation.

5. What is the importance of knowing the constants for a Taylor Series?

Knowing the constants for a Taylor Series allows for a better understanding of the behavior of the function being approximated. It also allows for more accurate calculations of the function at points where it may be difficult to do so directly. Additionally, the knowledge of the constants can help in analyzing the convergence and accuracy of the Taylor Series.