Help finding a topic in Number Theory

In summary: So I think I'll try to steer clear of that as a topic.In summary, the speaker is in need of a topic for a 10-15 page paper as part of their degree requirements. They are interested in topics related to number theory and abstract algebra, specifically p-adic numbers. They have also considered Gaussian integers, but found there wasn't enough accessible information for a paper. They are open to suggestions and have considered cryptography as well, but have decided to avoid it due to classmates also choosing it as a topic. Some unconventional suggestions include applying Richardson extrapolation to a sequence in number theory or exploring the math of Florentin Smarandache. The speaker also mentions recent developments in the twin prime conjecture and the idea of
MostlyHarmless
First, I'm in need of a topic to write a paper about as part of my degree requirements. The paper is supposed to be 10-15 pages. (I only mention this because it limits the scope of the paper and thus the topic.)

I took a course in number theory last semester and really enjoyed it, so I'm really looking for something in that area, although I do enjoy Abstract Algebra as well.

So far, I've tried p-adic numbers and Gaussian Integers.

There didn't seem to be enough about Gaussian integers that was accessible to write a paper about, also I'm not a fan of Complex Analysis.

P-adic numbers seems very promising, but when reading about them, I didn't have that ah-hah! moment.

I've spent a few hours on google already, and intend to spend a few more, I would just be remiss if I didn't ask on here.

I'm open to any suggestions, links, or otherwise.EDIT: Cryptography might be another thing I try. We spent a lot of time on it last semester, and it seems like it has its roots in Number/Group Theory. And being an application, I feel it would make a more readable paper.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll get better advice if you explain (perhaps quote) the requirements for the paper. Is it to be rigorous and formal? - expository? pure math? applied math?

The requirements haven't really been laid out for us, other than a "research/analytic paper". We aren't expected to present "new math". I think the point of the paper is to expose us to "math writing" and to give us experience finding and citing papers etc..

I think we are pretty free as far as the intent of the paper. We have people presenting on math education which seems to be more informative/persuasive. We have people writing on applied math, and pure math.

Cryptography would be a great topic if you want to wave around some number theory and abstract algebra! You'd probably have to choose one cryptosystem if you want to go into the math in any depth, but it's all tons of fun. I don't know how much you know already, but "An Introduction to Mathematical Cryptography" (Hoffstein) is a pretty well written, self contained undergrad text. Would be a good starting point if you don't know much, or useful for reference if you do.

Also - I bet the recent developments with the twin prime conjecture is a really overdone topic, but maybe you could focus on the developments on related problems it's spurred? In particular there's an interesting polynomial analogue to the twin prime conjecture that new work has been done on. And the idea of crowdsourcing in math is big and new and exciting if you could write on that.

Idk if your paper has to be on anything recent, but both of these topics are super relevant right now, and you could include a lot of 'what next?' type discussion, which sounds fun.

Thank you for that, I think I'm going to stick with p-adic numbers, a few of my classmates have chosen to do cryptography.

Related to Help finding a topic in Number Theory

1. What is Number Theory?

Number Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers, especially integers. It involves studying patterns and properties of numbers, as well as solving problems related to them.

2. How do I choose a topic in Number Theory?

Choosing a topic in Number Theory can be challenging, but it's important to find something that interests you. You can start by looking for current research trends, reading articles and books on the subject, and discussing potential topics with your peers or mentor.

3. What are some popular research topics in Number Theory?

Some popular research topics in Number Theory include prime numbers, modular arithmetic, Diophantine equations, and number sequences. Other interesting areas to explore include cryptography, algebraic number theory, and the Riemann Hypothesis.

4. How can I make my topic in Number Theory more specific?

To make your topic more specific, you can narrow down your focus by choosing a particular aspect or problem within Number Theory. For example, instead of studying prime numbers in general, you could focus on twin primes or Mersenne primes. You could also consider applying Number Theory to a specific real-world problem or field, such as cryptography or physics.

5. Are there any resources available to help me find a topic in Number Theory?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you find a topic in Number Theory. Some useful sources include academic journals, online databases, and conferences related to Number Theory. You can also consult with your professor or a mathematics librarian for guidance and suggestions.