Help~Expectation of Brownian Motion Processes

Your Name]In summary, the question posed is to compute E[B(t1)B(t2)B(t3)] for a standard Brownian motion process. The solution involves using the definition and properties of a standard Brownian motion process to rewrite the expectation as E[B(t1)C(t2)C(t3)], which ultimately simplifies to 0.
mckammer
Hello everybody! I'm working on a Stochastic Processes course based on Ross' Introduction to Probability Models.
I hope you can help me work through this problem.

Homework Statement

{B(t), t >= 0} is a standard Brownian motion process
Compute E[B(t1)B(t2)B(t3)] for t1 < t2 < t3.

Homework Equations

See my attempt at a solution?

The Attempt at a Solution

E[B(t1)B(t2)B(t3)] =E[E[B(t1)B(t2)B(t3)|B(t1)]]
=E[B(t1)E[B(t2)B(t3)|B(t1)]
Then, I name another Brownian Process C(t), such that C(t) = B(t) - B(t1)
=E[B(t1)E[(C(t2)-B(t1))(C(t3)-B(t1))|B(t1)]

Expanding, I get
E[B(t1)^3 - B(t1)^2(E[C(t2)+C(t3)]) + B(t1)E[C(t2)C(t3)]]

The second term evaluates to 0, since we have the sum of two Brownian motion processes with mean 0

The third term evaluates to
E[C(t2)[C(t3) + C(t2) - C(t2)]] = E[C(t2)(C(t3)-C(t2))] + E[C(t2)^2]
= 0 + t2? (Because the first term here is multiplied by E[C(t2)], and the second term is the second moment, which is equal to the variance due to the mean being 0?)

My final answer is
B(t1)^3 + (t2)B(t1)

Does this look reasonable?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question. I am happy to help you work through this problem.

First, let's review the definition of a standard Brownian motion process. It is a continuous-time stochastic process with the following properties:
1. B(0) = 0
2. B(t) has independent increments
3. B(t) has normally distributed increments with mean 0 and variance t

Now, let's tackle the problem at hand. We want to compute E[B(t1)B(t2)B(t3)] for t1 < t2 < t3.

Using the definition of a standard Brownian motion process, we can rewrite this expectation as:
E[B(t1)(B(t2) - B(t1))(B(t3) - B(t2))] = E[B(t1)C(t2)C(t3)], where C(t) = B(t) - B(t1).

Now, we can use the property of independent increments to rewrite this as:
E[B(t1)C(t2)C(t3)] = E[B(t1)]E[C(t2)]E[C(t3)] = 0, since B(t1) and C(t2) are independent and have mean 0.

Therefore, our final answer is 0.

I hope this helps you understand the solution to this problem. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Help~Expectation of Brownian Motion Processes

1. What is Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is the random movement of particles suspended in a fluid, caused by collisions with smaller particles in the fluid. This phenomenon was first described by scientist Robert Brown in the 19th century.

2. How does Brownian motion relate to physics?

Brownian motion is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to explain a variety of phenomena, including diffusion, heat conduction, and fluid dynamics. It is also an important topic in statistical mechanics and stochastic processes.

3. What is the significance of Brownian motion in biology?

Brownian motion plays a crucial role in biological systems, as it is responsible for the movement of molecules within cells, the diffusion of nutrients and waste products across cell membranes, and the movement of cells within tissues.

4. How can Brownian motion be observed and studied?

Brownian motion can be observed and studied through various experimental techniques, such as using a microscope to track the movement of particles in a fluid or using mathematical models to simulate and analyze the behavior of Brownian particles.

5. What are the practical applications of Brownian motion?

Brownian motion has numerous practical applications in fields such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. It is used in drug delivery systems, nanotechnology, and the development of new materials. It also has implications for financial markets and the stock market.