HELP Diff Eqs, Torricelli's law

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's frustration with a difficult differential equations project due during exam week. They also mention their struggle with using Torricelli's law to solve a problem involving a cylindrical tank draining water through a bottom hole. The law states that the velocity of water through the opening is proportional to the square root of the depth of the water. The conversation ends with a proposed solution to the problem by equating two expressions for the rate of change of volume.
becksftw
HELP! Diff Eqs, Torricelli's law

Hi, my crazy diff eq professor for some reason decided to assign us a project accompanied by some book problems right in the middle of exam week, due friday (day of my last exam). This is easily the most redic. thing I've ever seen in my college career. Anyhow, I'm trying to get all the book problems done right now, and only have 1 left, that I've been trying to wrap my head around for awhile now. I just really want to get this out of the way so I can go back to studying for my exams!

The question is: Suppose that a cylindrical tank initially containing V0 gallons of water drains (through a bottom hole) in T minutes. Use Torricelli's law to show that the volume of water in the tank after t<=T minutes is V= V0 [1-(t/T)]^2

I'm very lost on this, as we have not touched Torricelli's law at all in class.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Toricelli's law states the velocity of water through the opening is proportional to the square root of the depth of the water. So if h is the depth of the water at time t, v is the velocity of the water through the hole, Ahole is the area of the hole, Ab is the area of the base of the cylinder, and V is the volume of water at time t, you have

[tex]\frac {dV}{dt} = A_{hole}\frac{dv}{dt} = -A_{hole} k\sqrt h = -c\sqrt h[/tex]

[tex]V = A_b h\hbox{ so }\frac{dV}{dt}
= A_b\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex]

Equating the two expressions for dV/dt gives

[tex]A_b\frac{dh}{dt}= -c\sqrt h[/tex]

so lumping the constants together you can write

[tex]\frac{dh}{dt}=-C\sqrt h[/tex]

Solve that equation for h. You have two facts given -- one that the cylinder is empty when t = T and the other that the volume is V0 when t = 0. These will allow you to figure out C and the constant of integration you get when you solve. And, of course, once you know h you know V.

Last edited:

Related to HELP Diff Eqs, Torricelli's law

1. What is the definition of Differential Equations?

Differential Equations are mathematical equations that involve the derivatives of an unknown function. They are used to describe various physical phenomena and can be solved to find the function that satisfies the equation.

2. How is Torricelli's Law related to Differential Equations?

Torricelli's Law is a specific application of Differential Equations. It states that the rate at which a fluid is flowing out of a container is directly proportional to the square root of the height of the fluid in the container. This relationship can be described using a differential equation.

3. Can Torricelli's Law be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, Torricelli's Law can be applied to real-life situations such as the flow of water through a pipe or the rate at which a liquid is draining from a tank. It is often used in engineering and physics to model and predict fluid flow.

4. How can Differential Equations be solved?

There are various methods for solving Differential Equations, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and series solutions. The specific method used depends on the type of equation and its initial conditions.

5. Why is Torricelli's Law important in fluid dynamics?

Torricelli's Law is important in fluid dynamics because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various situations. It is a fundamental principle that is used in many applications, such as designing pipelines and predicting the flow of liquids in hydraulic systems.