Help de-cyphering brevity in a publication

• Thread starter the.drizzle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Publication
In summary, the author is trying to solve a equation involving a function and some derivatives, but he can't figure out how to substitute a specific value for η. He has attached a PDF document that has the equations and derivatives he is working with.
the.drizzle
Hello!

I'll keep this brief for the moment as I think this may be a bit on the involved side, and I don't want to bore people if I can avoid it.

Basically, I found the article I have attached as jones1971.pdf and it relates directly to some work I am trying to do at the moment, and it would be very useful for me to code the author's algorithm in some language--I'm using python. To this end, I've been mostly successful and as he was so kind as to publish tables of results, I've been able to verify the computational accuracy of my code.

However, I am stuck on the last step! The problem I am having is that I cannot figure how he has taken the steps that he has on pp. 621, right column, where he has done:

If we substitute the expansion

[itex]
p_n = p_{n0} + \frac{1}{P_e^2}p_{n1} + \frac{1}{P_e^4}p_{n2}+\cdots
[/itex]

in the expression

[itex]
F\left(\eta\right) = \displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^\infty \frac{\left(-1\right)^r}{P_e^{2r}} F_r\left(\eta\right)
[/itex]

and equate to zero, we obtain

[itex]
F_0\left(p_{n0}\right) =0
[/itex]

etc...

The short version of my problem is that I simply cannot figure out the mechanics of the substitution he has alluded to, nor what he has equated to zero. I need to know this in order to structure my code correctly, otherwise it will simply be garbage in --> garbage out, which I'd prefer to avoid if at all possible.

I realize there are quite a few variables here, and this problem as I have presented it probably makes no sense--hence why I have attached the source document.

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm getting close to being out of ideas.

Attachments

• jones1971.pdf
    364.5 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is being substituted for η. pn is defined to be a root of F(η), so the expression evaluates to zero. I think you then have to consider lim Pe→∞ to get the F0(pn0) = 0 result.

Yup, that and expanding F as a Taylor series about p_n seems to do it. Perfect, thanks!

Related to Help de-cyphering brevity in a publication

What is "brevity" in a publication?

Brevity in a publication refers to the use of concise and precise language to convey information. It involves using as few words as possible while still effectively communicating the intended message.

Why is brevity important in scientific publications?

Brevity is important in scientific publications because it allows for clear and efficient communication of research findings. It helps to avoid confusion and ensures that the main points of the study are easily understood by readers.

How can I improve brevity in my scientific writing?

To improve brevity in scientific writing, it is important to carefully select and use precise words to convey your message. Avoid using unnecessary words or phrases and focus on clearly stating the key findings and their significance.

What are some common mistakes that lead to lack of brevity in scientific publications?

Some common mistakes that lead to lack of brevity in scientific publications include using complex or technical language, including irrelevant information, and using passive voice instead of active voice. Additionally, not editing and revising your writing can also lead to lack of brevity.

Are there any resources available to help with de-cyphering brevity in a publication?

Yes, there are several resources available to help with de-cyphering brevity in a publication. Some examples include writing guides and workshops specifically for scientific writing, peer editing and feedback from colleagues, and online tools such as word counters and readability analyzers.