Help Convergence test for series

In summary: when x=1, the series converges, but when x gets bigger, the values of the terms in the series start to increase but not by enough to make up for the initial decrease in k, so the series diverges
Puppy27
Find the value of x so that the series below converge.[/b]

[tex]\sum [/tex] 1/ [(k^x) * (2^k)] (k=1 to [tex]\infty[/tex])
Using ratio test, I 've got
[(1/2) * 1^x] < 1 for all x in R
But when I use different value of x, series converge and diverge!

Really need your help! Thank you so much

Physics news on Phys.org
I think we could say that for every x, the series can be convergent. But it's not uniformly convergent.
For all x ∈R,it's convergent. Just notice that if we assume S(x)=∑1/ [(k^x) * (2^k)] , we could find an integral number n with 1/ [(k^x) * (2^k)] <[(k^n) / (2^k)] .
let Sn=Σ[(k^n) / (2^k)], you could easily calculate Sn-0.5Sn, then for every n, the series can be convergent. But, unfortunately, the speed of the convergency depends on the integral n, which is based on x, so we could not say that the series uniformly converge.

That is why my lecturer asks to find values of x (or I think the range of value of x) to make this series converge

Help me please!

The ratio of consecutive terms is [tex] \frac{ k^x 2^k}{(k+1)^x 2^{k+1}} = \frac{1}{2} \cdot \left( \frac{k}{k+1} \right)^x [/tex].

You were incorrect to simply replace the k/(k+1) term with 1 straight away. You have to consider how different x values affect the term by breaking it up into cases. What if x is negative?

sorry, but the ratio test is using limit of Uk+1/Uk when k goes to infinity, right?
So that is why I get (1/2) * 1^x which is (1/2) for all x

So what is the problem? You said that when you test different values for x, some diverge and some converge. Which ones do you think make it diverge? You know that it must converge, so try to see where your reasoning is faulty.

sorry, I mistake the definition of convergence! I first thought a series converge when k increases, the value of each component in the series will increase.

so sorry!

Related to Help Convergence test for series

What is a Convergence Test?

A Convergence Test is a method used to determine if a series, which is an infinite sum of numbers, converges or diverges. Convergence means that the series has a finite sum, while divergence means that the series has an infinite sum.

Why is it important to test for convergence in series?

Testing for convergence is important because it helps determine whether a series is a valid mathematical expression. If a series diverges, it means that the sum of the terms is infinite and therefore the series cannot be used to make accurate calculations.

What are some common convergence tests for series?

Some common convergence tests include the Ratio Test, the Comparison Test, the Root Test, and the Integral Test. These tests compare the series to other known series or use the properties of limits to determine convergence or divergence.

How do you use the Ratio Test to determine convergence?

The Ratio Test compares the absolute value of the ratio between consecutive terms in a series to a limit. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, then the test is inconclusive and another test may need to be used.

Can a series converge at one value and diverge at another?

Yes, a series can converge for some values and diverge for others. This is known as conditional convergence. It means that the series converges when certain conditions are met, but diverges when those conditions are not met. This is often seen in alternating series.