[HELP] Confused about EMF induced in rotating coil

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electromagnetic induction, specifically the relationship between flux linkage and emf in a rotating coil. It is explained that when the plane of the coil is parallel to the magnetic field, NBA=0 and no emf is induced. When the plane is perpendicular, NBA is at its maximum and an emf is induced. The confusion arises when considering the graph of flux as a cosine function and the derivative as a sine function. However, it is clarified that while the flux may be at a minimum, the rate of change of flux is at its maximum, resulting in a non-zero emf. The conversation also touches on Faraday's Law and the constant values of B and A in the equation Φ=N
qazxsw11111
Ok, now I got another question while doing electromagnetic induction questions.

I know flux linkage=NBA and in a rotating coil, Flux linkage=NBA cos wt, which differentiated (Faraday's Law) wrt time gives E=NBAw sin wt, where w = angular frequency.

However, when the plane of the coil is parallel to the magnetic field (assuming uniform magnetic field), NBA=0 since A=0. But according to E=BLV, where B, L and V are mutually perpendicular to each other, giving rise to a emf. But according to the differentiated eqn, NBA=0, so how can E be some value?

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5977/magneticij.png

Vice versa when the plane is perpendicular to the field. NBA=maximum, but according to E=BLV, V and B are not perpendicular, giving rise to a zero emf.

Im very confused about this, anyone can help?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
well if it is rotating, at the point θ=0, then no emf is induced, but since it is rotating the momentum will cause it to move past θ=0 and thus cause an emf to still be induced.

When parallel to the magnetic field, no flux is cut, so no emf is induced.

rock.freak667 said:
well if it is rotating, at the point θ=0, then no emf is induced, but since it is rotating the momentum will cause it to move past θ=0 and thus cause an emf to still be induced.

When parallel to the magnetic field, no flux is cut, so no emf is induced.

I knew that, but according to the graph in my lecture notes, flux is a cos function (eqn above). If you differentiate it, you will result in a sine curve, which at T/4 (initially coil plane is perpendicular to field), flux=0 but E=NBAw. My confusion is that I thought E at T/4 (Coil plane // to field) is 0.

Hope you understand what my confusion is all about. Anyone can help clarify this further?

Thanks.

Last edited:
qazxsw11111 said:
I knew that, but according to the graph in my lecture notes, flux is a cos function (eqn above). If you differentiate it, you will result in a sine curve, which at T/4 (initially coil plane is perpendicular to field), flux=0 but E=NBAw. My confusion is that I thought E at T/4 (Coil plane // to field) is 0.

Hope you understand what my confusion is all about. Anyone can help clarify this further?

Thanks.
Φ=NBAcos(ωt)

E=dΦ/dt=-ωNBAsin(ωt) (-ve for opposite direction i.e. Lenz's law)

if E=0, then θ=π which corresponds to T/2, for t=T/4 i.e. θ=π/2, then the rate of flux cutting is maximum and E is maximum so E=ωNBA.

If you are still confused post your graphs and I'll see if I can explain it better for you.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6200/graphv.jpg

Let T=period of rotation. Why NBA=0 but NBAw=max?

Last edited by a moderator:
In your first graph, if you try to draw a tangent at the point where it crosses the axis, then the tangent is more or less vertical. So while the flux,Φ, is a minimum, it is the change in flux,dΦ/dt, that is maximum. Does it make a little more sense now?

Faraday's Law: The rate of change of magnetic flux is directly proportional to the emf induced. E=dΦ/dt .

Yup it makes sense. But equation-wise, subbing into the eqn you gave me E=-ωNBAsin(ωt), BA=0 isn't it?

qazxsw11111 said:
Yup it makes sense. But equation-wise, subbing into the eqn you gave me E=-ωNBAsin(ωt), BA=0 isn't it?

If you are thinking like that, then when Φ=0Wb , then the magnetic field cuts off and there is no emf induced!

In Φ=NBAcos(ωt), B and A are constant really.

Ok, so NBA basically means the total maximum flux linkage to the coil (Constant), while the only thing that varies is the cos (wt)?

qazxsw11111 said:
Ok, so NBA basically means the total maximum flux linkage to the coil (Constant), while the only thing that varies is the cos (wt)?

more or less because it is rotating so the only thing changing is the angle or wt as the case may be.

Related to [HELP] Confused about EMF induced in rotating coil

1. What is EMF induction?

EMF induction is the process of generating an electromagnetic force in a conductor, such as a rotating coil, when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This can result in the flow of electric current in the conductor.

2. How is EMF induced in a rotating coil?

EMF is induced in a rotating coil when it is placed in a changing magnetic field, either by rotating the coil or by changing the magnetic field around it. This causes the magnetic flux through the coil to change, resulting in the generation of an EMF.

3. What factors affect the amount of EMF induced in a rotating coil?

The amount of EMF induced in a rotating coil is affected by the speed of rotation, the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the orientation of the coil in the magnetic field.

4. What is the relationship between EMF and the rate of change of magnetic flux?

According to Faraday's law of induction, the induced EMF in a conductor is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the conductor. This means that a faster rate of change of flux will result in a higher induced EMF.

5. How is EMF induction used in real-life applications?

EMF induction is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as electric generators, transformers, and induction motors. It is also utilized in wireless charging technology and magnetic levitation systems.