Help an Undergrad Physics student decide on Electives

In summary, an Applied Physics Undergrad is unsure of what to do after graduation and is faced with choosing between two electives - Physical Chemistry 3 or Sensors & Actuators in the second year, and Physical Chemistry 4 or Instrumentation & Control in the third year. They are seeking advice on which elective would be more beneficial for their career, with some students recommending the Chemistry module for an academic path and the Sensors module for an industry path. Ultimately, the student decides to choose the Sensors route as it offers more versatility and potential in both academia and industry. Additionally, they are advised to also consider learning programming and mechatronics to further enhance their skills and opportunities.
bocces
Hey all,

I'm an Applied Physics Undergrad who just finished first year and I ended up with a 2:1, which is grand.

Anyway, in second year we have to pick between two electives, Physical Chemistry 3 or Sensors & Actuators. Then again in third year you have either Physical Chemistry 4 or Instrumentation & Control. (Obviously, if you pick the Chen elective you have to continue on with the Chem stream and vice versa)

Basically, what would be the best to pick? I honestly have no idea what I want to do after my degree. I thought I did but college level physics is different to what I thought it was (in a good way) so I'm sort of back at having no clue as to what I want. I have a feeling those on this forum may work in both industry and others have a more academic life. What would set me up better for a career after college?

Talking to those in other years they said choose the Chem module if you think you want an academic career and then the second module if you want a "straight to industry" career. Again, not sure what I want to do.

Any advice anyone can give would be brilliant.

I was going to base my decision off what I got at the end of first year but I ended up getting the same grade in my Physical Chemistry 1 exam and my Analog Electronics 2 exam (which is a prerequisite for Sensors & Actuators). I preferred the Chemistry labs even though I found them difficult at times. Mostly because I didn't study Chemistry at High School and my first experience of Chemistry was in college. The AE 2 labs to me, were boring and I did find the circuitry at times. However, talking to those in the higher years the labs do become more interesting.

Tl;dr?
Physics Undergrad unsure of what to do with degree, should I choose Chem or Electronics elective.
What's more employable and sets me up for a more "general" Physics education.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I would choose the Sensors route as its could be used in both places. If you want to move to industry you're covered if you want to stay in academia you're covered. Consider how many physics experiments utilize sensors, instrumentation ...

Robotics and the Internet of Things is heating up too and this technology utilizes sensors in a big way.

Why even chemistry uses the sensor and instrumentation technology so to me its a broader path with more options.

I would also suggest some programming that interacts with sensor technology and maybe mechatronics as well.

Thanks for the reply.

You pretty much summed up the reasons as to why I would pick the Sensors route.

As regards to programming, I have the basics of Java and I am fairly proficient with MatLab

Related to Help an Undergrad Physics student decide on Electives

1. What electives should I take as an undergrad physics student?

As a general rule, it is recommended to take a mix of both theoretical and experimental electives. Some popular options include courses in astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and particle physics. It is also a good idea to consult with your academic advisor for specific recommendations based on your interests and career goals.

2. Are there any prerequisites for electives in physics?

Yes, most electives in physics have prerequisites, usually in the form of introductory courses in physics and mathematics. Make sure to check the course catalog or talk to your advisor to ensure you have met the necessary requirements before enrolling in an elective.

3. Can I take electives outside of the physics department?

Yes, many universities allow students to take electives outside of their major department. This can be a great way to explore other areas of interest or to supplement your physics education. Just be sure to check with your advisor to make sure the elective will count towards your degree requirements.

4. What are some good electives for preparing for graduate school in physics?

If you are planning on pursuing a graduate degree in physics, it is important to take electives that will help you develop strong research and analytical skills. Some recommended courses include statistical mechanics, electromagnetism, and advanced laboratory courses. It is also helpful to take electives in related fields such as mathematics, computer science, or engineering.

5. How do I choose between different electives in physics?

When deciding between different electives, it is important to consider your interests, career goals, and the prerequisites for each course. It can also be helpful to talk to other students who have taken the electives or to attend the first class to get a feel for the course material and teaching style. Ultimately, choose electives that will challenge you and help you develop skills that will benefit you in your future career.