Help an EE student get into mechanical design

In summary: There are many good books on mechanical design but I would recommend "Machine Design" by Christopher Gray. It is a relatively short read (~500 pages) and is written at a level that is easy for self-taught engineers to understand.
Ryuk1990
Hi, I'd like to learn some mechanical design. My knowledge in mechanics is mainly from general physics and a basic course in engineering mechanics. Is this enough to take on intermediate level mechanical design? Should I take a few ME classes? If so, what would you recommend? What is a good free software program for mechanical design? Any good books on self-teaching mechanical design?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends how far you've gone with engineering mechanics. I'm not sure what they cover in intermediate mech. design, but I think if you understand basic statics, mechanics of materials, some basic materials science, and are comfortable with combined loadings, I would say to take a shot at it. You might be able to pick some stuff up along the way even if you're not completely comfortable.

As far as designing structures, there is no manual to tell you what the best is. In my experience, it's all about understanding what loads are being applied at what points and finding out the load paths. Everything else is using your engineering intuition to make the structure handle those loads. FEA programs help engineers do this by computing where stress concentrations will happen in the modeled design, but then you have to come up with the way to handle that. There might be some constraints on the design too, like designing around components that will fit inside an enclosure, etc. and you have to take that into account in your design as well. Also, you might have to design in a factor of safety. If it's a critical component that might cause harm or injury, you might need to design it with a factor of safety of 3-4, meaning that the component should be able to handle 3-4 times the maximum load you think it will ever see. There's a lot to take into consideration, and sometimes you'll go through many different iterations on your design before you get something acceptable.

As far as free software, if you're a student, you might be able to get some free software from Autodesk at http://students.autodesk.com/. Their tools are pretty user-friendly and good for beginners.

Ryuk1990 said:
Hi, I'd like to learn some mechanical design. My knowledge in mechanics is mainly from general physics and a basic course in engineering mechanics. Is this enough to take on intermediate level mechanical design? Should I take a few ME classes? If so, what would you recommend? What is a good free software program for mechanical design? Any good books on self-teaching mechanical design?

Engineering mechanics generally encompasses statics and dynamics. You'd be wise to take a class in mechanics of solids (strength of materials) before tackling machine design just so you have an understanding of strength, toughness and stress-strain relationships.

To answer your question, the bible-like textbook on machine design is Shigley and Mischke's "Mechanical Engineering Design". Though the authors of that book do assume you have an understanding of what I mentioned above.

Related to Help an EE student get into mechanical design

1. What is mechanical design?

Mechanical design is the process of creating and developing mechanical systems and components. This can include anything from small tools to large machinery. It involves using principles of engineering, physics, and mathematics to design functional and efficient products.

2. What skills are required for a career in mechanical design?

A career in mechanical design requires a strong understanding of engineering principles, as well as proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software. Attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, and creativity are also important skills for success in this field.

3. How can an EE student prepare for a career in mechanical design?

EE (electrical engineering) students can prepare for a career in mechanical design by taking courses in mechanical engineering, CAD software, and materials science. It may also be helpful to gain hands-on experience through internships or projects related to mechanical design.

4. What job opportunities are available for mechanical design engineers?

Mechanical design engineers can work in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. They may also find opportunities in research and development, consulting, or as independent contractors.

5. What is the average salary for a mechanical design engineer?

The average salary for a mechanical design engineer can vary depending on experience, location, and industry. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for mechanical engineers, including those in design roles, was $88,430 in May 2019. However, salaries can range from $57,130 to $138,020 or more, depending on factors such as education and specialization.