Helmholtz 2D PDE around general shape (eg a figure 8)

In summary: What do you think?Numerically, it should suffice. However, in order to get the best results, you might want to use a more sophisticated numerical solver.
veneficus5
Hello physics enthusiasts! I was looking for resources, and stumbled upon these awesome forums.

I am looking for how to solve the helmholtz equation / wave equation on a figure 8 type shape. I wanted to find the resonant frequencies of a classical guitar.

Would this work? I am considering the wood top of the guitar to be the membrane and the figure 8 shape to be the dirichlet boundary condition.

I need some help though as i only know how to solve for squares and circles.

Numerically would fine too, although I would prefer nonnumerically.

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're looking for the resonant frequency of the wooden panel, don't forget that it's not a membrane under tension, it's a plate with bending stiffness. I only know you can use the Helmholtz eqn. for membranes, but I guess you can use it for plates too?? I'd like to know how to formulate that problem.

You could also find the resonances of the air in the cavity. That might be more significant for a guitar.

I'd just do it numerically, using off-the-shelf finite element analysis software.

Well if I do it numerically, I'll have to come up with the method. I am doing a presentation on it. I should have stated that.

veneficus5 said:
Well if I do it numerically, I'll have to come up with the method. I am doing a presentation on it. I should have stated that.

Hmm, what's the purpose of the presentation? Would you have to actually write your own software rather than just handwaving how an exiting product works? Sorry I don't have any experience (that I remember!) with analytical solutions but I've worked on a numerical solver for this problem.

But what do you think about the tensioned membrane vs. stiff bending plate? Can both be modeled the same way?

Unrest said:
Hmm, what's the purpose of the presentation? Would you have to actually write your own software rather than just handwaving how an exiting product works? Sorry I don't have any experience (that I remember!) with analytical solutions but I've worked on a numerical solver for this problem.

But what do you think about the tensioned membrane vs. stiff bending plate? Can both be modeled the same way?

The purpose of the presentation is to present something relatively new and interesting related to PDEs to my class in about 20 minutes. Even though it should be a stiff bending plate, I think I'll just explain that detail at the beginning of the presentation and look at the membrane version anyways. Everyone has done PDEs analytically, but only one other person and I have done PDEs numerically.

The stiff version might be worth looking into, but I want to keep it easy and understandable by only deviating slightly from what we already know (20 minute presentation) edit: and what we know is the wave equation on a circle and square with or without heat sources.

actually Unrest I am now interested in your numerical method. My professor said that doing it numerically would suffice.

Related to Helmholtz 2D PDE around general shape (eg a figure 8)

What is a Helmholtz 2D PDE?

A Helmholtz 2D PDE (Partial Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a physical system in two dimensions. It is named after the German physicist Hermann von Helmholtz, who made significant contributions to the field of mathematical physics.

What makes the Helmholtz 2D PDE unique?

The Helmholtz 2D PDE is unique because it is a second-order, linear, partial differential equation that involves both space and time variables. This means that it describes how a physical quantity (such as temperature or pressure) changes over both space and time.

What is the significance of a general shape in the Helmholtz 2D PDE?

A general shape in the Helmholtz 2D PDE refers to the shape of the physical system being modeled. For example, if we are studying the temperature distribution around a figure 8-shaped object, the general shape would be a figure 8. This allows us to apply the equation to a variety of different physical systems, rather than just a specific shape.

What are some real-world applications of the Helmholtz 2D PDE around general shapes?

The Helmholtz 2D PDE around general shapes has many real-world applications. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to model heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic phenomena. It is also used in image and signal processing, as well as in seismology to study earthquake waves.

What are some techniques for solving the Helmholtz 2D PDE around general shapes?

There are various techniques for solving the Helmholtz 2D PDE around general shapes, including separation of variables, Fourier series, and numerical methods such as finite difference and finite element methods. The choice of technique depends on the specific problem being solved and the desired level of accuracy.