Hello, good-bye, and thank you.

In summary, the words "hello", "good-bye", and "thank you" all have significant cultural and historical origins. "Hello" comes from an Old High German word meaning "to fetch" or "to call", while "good-bye" is derived from the phrase "God be with you". Saying "thank you" is a social norm that has positive effects on mental health and can strengthen relationships. Different cultures have their own unique ways of using these words, such as bowing in Japan or saying "bonjour" and "au revoir" in France. Additionally, the meanings of these words can vary depending on context and tone, as well as cultural differences and nonverbal cues.
Honestly, this is the first time I hear of Catalan.
True, it is also just like a a couple of years ago, I met a girl who is now one of my best friends, you know she told she is from Tonga. and that made me stuned for a while since I hadnot heard of it before...I have to admit that i am really bad at geography and my common sense about different places of the world is really not good...

But do all the Spaniards know/can they speak Catalan ?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, in fact I would say that catalan is hated in the zones where is not spoken; it comes from a long history... Catalonia was an independent (and powerful) nation until was annexed by Spain. So we are a bit like the "strangers" for the rest of Spain. But there are other minor languages talked in Spain: Euskera in the Basque country, and galego in Galicia. Galego is very similar to portuguese, and euskera is very peculiar because, contrarily to most west-european tongues is not of romanic origin. It probably shares the same origin as the Berber talked in the north of Africa

Catalan is spoken in the zones indicated in this map
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/catnet/Ppccnou1.jpg

the box in right inferior corner shows the city of Alghero in the italian island of Sardinia. Catalan is still spoken in that city, a reminder of the times when the whole island of Sardinia was a catalan possession

Last edited:
Thanks for your explanation...(:smile)

In Japan, people usually use "Kon nichi wa" as Hello and it is also used as "Good afternoon"(though its truest meaning must be "around noon" (smile))
On the phone people will say:
申し申し-Moshi Moshi = Hello
こんにちは(今日は)-Kon ni chi wa = Hello (people use OhayoGozaimasu(Goodmorning), Konchiwa(Good afternoon), Konbanwa(Good evening) more often than only Konnichiwa because they are correct about time and sound more *friendlier*)
さよなら -Sa yo nara= Bye Bye (young Japanese use *Bye* more than this Sayonara...(smile))
有難うございました- Ari gato go zai ma shi ta = Thanks (Sometimes some will say only Arigato gozaimasu which is not as formal as the previous one and sound a little *not good but not bad*, it is just not formal and oftenly used among friends or people who are in the same class or rank or the same age, though)

People in some other parts of the country have different pronunciations and different uses of words especially those in Osaka...

Last edited:
Kon nichi wa -check!
Moshi moshi -check!
Ari gato -check!

If someone can now tell me what "domo" means, my Kill Bill vocabulary will be complete.

Domo has a lot of different meanings and it is up to each situation where the speaker uses it, listener will then figure out itstrue meaning, you speak out something that uses Domo, I will try to let you know its meaning...And please remember that when you already know how to put it in your own statements, you actually already know it boforehand.
Sounds like aloof but unfortunately it is adoof!

Swedish:

Hello: hej/hallå/tjänare
Good bye: hej då/vi ses

Southern Californian:
Hello: Hey dude
goodbye: Later dude

Norwegian (in my experience :-p ):
Hello: snakker du engelsk?
goodbye: nei? Oh well, nevermind.

Last edited:
My language:

hello shashe
goodbye sheaya
thankyou tushuya

baffledMatt said:
Southern Californian:
Hello: Hey dude
goodbye: Later dude

Dude, seriously? :-p :biggrin:

Well, that's how my flatmate speaks, although he has a slight western LA dialect so tends to say "waddup" instead of "hey dude".

totally :biggrin:

(actually this hardly even WARRANTS a post...)

are you japanese Pattielli? Why then this italian-like nick?

yeah - what language was that, Patielli?

Pattielli said:
My language:

hello shashe
goodbye sheaya
thankyou tushuya

This must be some kind of Japanese. Toshiya is a common Japanese name ...and toshuya is close to that.

Shashe (or something close to that) is the name of a God in some religion - I'm fairly certain it's Oriental or thereabouts.

not japanese...

"Shashe" is a name of a river around Botswana, South Africa or Zimbabwe.

Well, thanks for all your replies.
And in my language, I will repeat this sentence:
Ena benay cwonqua indegna elalow ehaynen calat.

Let's see who can guess what language that's in? :biggrin:

It must be some local dialect of Salamander? :wink:

My language:

hello shashe
goodbye sheaya
thankyou tushuya

That is not Japanese, that is my language...(smile)
I amnot a Westerner, not an Easterner either! but i know East roots in me deeper than West does...honestly, I am proud of it and find myself really lucky too, I was born to be like that, I would be able to say billions of Thanks to my parents without even a stop because they gave birth to a child like me...I would surely do something to make them much happier, that is my big big ambition. I will make it!
I don't see any problem to be an Easterner though,

Last edited:
Three years ago, I met some students who were coming from America, yes, they were/are studying there, it was weird to me at first that both are Chinese but never spoke to each other in Chinese, they used only English, I guessed they would like to say it was "international", I came close and asked how long they had been living in the US, one said two years and the other said three years, whereas I had thought to myself that they should have been living there for 10 years or so...

Welsh:

Hello: Bore da
Goodbye: Hwyl fawr
Thank you: Diolch

lol

Monique said:
It must be some local dialect of Salamander? :wink:

No, amharic.

My language:

hello shashe
goodbye sheaya
thankyou tushuya

In keeping with this spirit;

Hello: dio'os (pronounced; dios, but slow)
Goodbye: pa'te in ba'al (pronounced; pate in bail)
To say thanks: bo'tic (pronounced; bow tick)

Here you go, a site with please, thank you, hello and goodbye, and a few other phrases in 270 different languages!

http://www.elite.net/~runner/jennifers/please.htm

I've been learning far more useless phrases (I don't know how to spell a single one of them, but I like trying new foods, so it works for me to learn to say them), like bon apetit, buen provecho, ech schmaklik (sorry Monique, I probably mutilated it because I've never seen it spelled, so am sort of going by phonetics there), guten apetit (I think...that's supposed to be German). I also know the dutch word for folding chair...can't forget it, but also can't spell it...I remember it because it sounds like clap stool. So, I pretty much can offer someone a chair and wish for them to enjoy their food.

Moonbear said:
ech schmaklik (sorry Monique, I probably mutilated it because I've never seen it spelled, so am sort of going by phonetics there)
:eek: eet smakelijk, very good :smile:

I also know the dutch word for folding chair...can't forget it, but also can't spell it...I remember it because it sounds like clap stool. So, I pretty much can offer someone a chair and wish for them to enjoy their food.
It's klap stoel :) I wonder where this word came up in a discussion, lol.

Monique said:
:eek: eet smakelijk, very good :smile:

It's probably better that I hadn't seen it spelled before learning to pronounce it, I'd have probably gotten it very very wrong.

Monique said:
It's klap stoel :) I wonder where this word came up in a discussion, lol.

:biggrin: One of my friends is Dutch, and we also have had several visiting Dutch students, so I pick up strange words here and there. I'm amazed I even remembered that word since it came up very late during a party and seemed like the most hilarious thing to discuss at the time. Strangely, it seems I retain foreign languages better when I'm drinking, maybe because by then I'm not overly inhibited about sounding stupid as I try to repeat the word many many many times until I get the pronunciation right. Or maybe slurred speech makes speaking Dutch easier :-p

Love languages.

German:
Hello = Hallo, Große Gott (in southern germany), Gutentag, Guten Abend(evening)
Please = bitte
Goodbye = Aufweidersehen (in person) or Aufweiderhören (if you are on the telephone).

If you answer the phone in germany you say your name first and then the other person says 'hello this is...' So it would be (for me):
(I pick up the phone): The Bob
Other person: Hallo. Dude hier.
And the conversation starts.

Strange for me but normal in other countries (I assume). :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
If you answer the phone in germany you say your name first and then the other person says 'hello this is...' So it would be (for me):
(I pick up the phone): The Bob
Other person: Hallo. Dude hier.
And the conversation starts.

Strange for me but normal in other countries (I assume). :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)
Same here, you pick up with:
"This is *name*" and the other follows with
"This is *name*"
and the conversation starts :) It would be very inpolite to not say your name when picking up :)

That sounds like business etiquette here, you answer the phone, "Hello, *name* *company*" Then the other person identifies themself and why they are calling to start the conversation. When answering the phone at home, you don't identify yourself until the caller identifies themself, just say "hello." That's probably because we have annoying telemarketers who should be kept in the dark about who they are speaking to since it's clearly rude to call someone's house about business when you don't know them and they haven't asked for you to call them there.

Yeah, you have to state your name every time you answer the phone and if you don't they'll ask who's speaking before saying their own name. It's more polite and courteous that way.

Urghm.. when I worked in a lab in the US I used to pick up the phone like that.. to the inspiration of my boss.. not a good thing :-p, he demanded that any time he picked up the phone stating his name, the person on the other side also stated their name before asking to be connected to someone else in the lab. You'd think that is a simple demand to be met.. :rolleyes: not quite.. he'd spend minutes arguing before handing over the phone and I had to train my friends that before asking for me when calling they should first quickly say their own name if they didn't want to be torn to threads :biggrin:

Monique said:
Yeah, you have to state your name every time you answer the phone and if you don't they'll ask who's speaking before saying their own name. It's more polite and courteous that way.

Urghm.. when I worked in a lab in the US I used to pick up the phone like that.. to the inspiration of my boss.. not a good thing :-p, he demanded that any time he picked up the phone stating his name, the person on the other side also stated their name before asking to be connected to someone else in the lab. You'd think that is a simple demand to be met.. :rolleyes: not quite.. he'd spend minutes arguing before handing over the phone and I had to train my friends that before asking for me when calling they should first quickly say their own name if they didn't want to be torn to threads :biggrin:

Hehe. Well in England that is just funny and my german teacher (the legend he is) spend 10 minutes going round the class and doing this. The results were hilarious. Not to insult your country but it was funny (as we are not used to it). :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Понятно?

Russian: (Cyrillic / transliteration / pronunciation / [translation])

Hello -
Привет / privyet / pree-vyet
Здравствуйте / zdravstvuytye / zdrast-voy-tyeh
Good bye -
До свидания / do svidaniya / duh svee-dan-ya / until (another) meeting
Пока / poka / puh-ka / for now
Thank you -
Спасибо / spasibo / spa-see-buh
Answering the phone, Russians will use -
Алло / allo
Слушаю / slushayu / sloo-sha-yoo / I'm listening​

plover said:
Russian: (Cyrillic / transliteration / pronunciation / [translation])

Hello -
Привет / privyet / pree-vyet
Здравствуйте / zdravstvuytye / zdrast-voy-tyeh
Good bye -
До свидания / do svidaniya / duh svee-dan-ya / until (another) meeting
Пока / poka / puh-ka / for now
Thank you -
Спасибо / spasibo / spa-see-buh
Answering the phone, Russians will use -
Алло / allo
Слушаю / slushayu / sloo-sha-yoo / I'm listening​

Oh yer. My favourite language. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Klingon:

nuqneH - Hello
qapla' - Good-bye
qatlho' - Thank you

The Bob said:
Hello = Hallo, Große Gott (in southern germany), Gutentag, Guten Abend(evening)

The Bob (2004 ©)
Wow, you even managed to type the double-s, not even I know how to do this with my keyboard :rolleyes:

But it's rather "Grüss' Gott" than the other, except you're some religious freak...:biggrin:

kuengb said:
Wow, you even managed to type the double-s, not even I know how to do this with my keyboard

You can insert a ß into a post with the sequence ß

For pretty much any character there is some sequence &#xxx; where xxx is a number. I think the number corresponds to the Unicode encoding of the character.

E.g. א is א (the character should be a Hebrew aleph)

I don't know what determines whether people's browsers will show other alphabets effectively though.

You could also install a German keyboard driver and poke at it until you find the right key. :smile: (That's how I figured out how to type in Russian.)

Most systems have some kind "Character map" utility that you can cut and paste from too.

kuengb said:
Wow, you even managed to type the double-s, not even I know how to do this with my keyboard :rolleyes:

But it's rather "Grüss' Gott" than the other, except you're some religious freak...:biggrin:

The ß is done by holding ALT and typing 0223 on your numberpad.

I don't get your point about the Grüß Gott. Is that what it should be because the one I wrote was what I have been taught. What does it have to do with me being a christian? And are you german then?

The Bob (2004 ©)