Heisenberg Uncertainty, Need Some Clarification. TIME SESITIVE, HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Heisenberg uncertainty principle to calculate the approximate uncertainty in position for a ball with a given mass and velocity. The conversation also mentions different versions of the principle and clarifies the role of the ball's diameter in the calculation. The final answer is given as 8.174 * 10^-34 m, but it is uncertain if this is the correct answer.
asl3589
Heisenberg Uncertainty, Need Some Clarification. TIME SESITIVE, HELP!

Homework Statement

Use the Heisenberg uncertainty principle to calculate Deltax for a ball (mass = 100 g, diameter = 6.65 cm) with Deltav = 0.645 m/s.

Homework Equations

PX = h/(4*3.14)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I took the equation and converted the values with my
numbers:((h/4π)/(.1kg * .645 m/s))/(.0665m) and yielded an
answer. The answer I got with these numbers is 1.23 *
10^-32 m. This answer is wrong and I am not sure why. I only have two hours left to answer this question. I would really appreciate it if someone could guide me on what my mistake is?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello asl3589,

Why did you divide by the diameter of the ball? :confused:

[Edit: Also, you seem to be using the more formal [tex] \sigma _x \sigma _p \geq \frac{\hbar}{2} [/tex] where [tex] \hbar = \frac{h}{2 \pi} [/tex]. But keep in mind that relationship is not an equality. If you want an approximate value with a [tex] \approx [/tex] sign and using [tex] \Delta x [/tex] and [tex] \Delta p [/tex], there is a slightly different version of the relation.]

Last edited:

Thanks for looking at it. I just assumed that the diameter factors into somehow. Is that unneccesary. If I take that step out the answer is just 8.174 * 10^-34 m. Is that right?

asl3589 said:
Thanks for looking at it. I just assumed that the diameter factors into somehow. Is that unneccesary. If I take that step out the answer is just 8.174 * 10^-34 m. Is that right?

That would give you the minimum possible uncertainty in position. But that's not necessarily the approximate uncertainty. The minimum possible uncertainty in position might be the answer your instructor is looking for, but I'm uncertain about that.

Related to Heisenberg Uncertainty, Need Some Clarification. TIME SESITIVE, HELP

What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a subatomic particle at the same time. This is because the act of measuring one of these properties disturbs the other, making it impossible to have precise knowledge of both simultaneously.

Why is it called the "uncertainty" principle?

The principle is called "uncertainty" because it means that there will always be a degree of uncertainty in our measurements and understanding of subatomic particles. It challenges the traditional idea of determinism, which states that everything in the universe can be predicted with absolute certainty.

Does this mean that our current understanding of physics is wrong?

No, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle does not discredit our current understanding of physics. In fact, it is a fundamental part of quantum mechanics and has been confirmed through numerous experiments. It simply means that there are inherent limitations in our ability to measure and understand the behavior of subatomic particles.

How does this principle affect our daily lives?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle primarily applies to the microscopic world and does not have a direct impact on our daily lives. However, it has led to groundbreaking technological advancements such as transistors and microchips, which are essential components of modern electronics.

Are there any exceptions to this principle?

There are some exceptions to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. For example, in certain cases, it is possible to simultaneously measure the position and momentum of a particle with high accuracy. Additionally, the principle becomes less significant at larger scales, such as objects visible to the naked eye.