Height of Peak in M-Slit Experiments

In summary, this question asks about peaks between maxima in two different functions, and trying to find their values without differentiation.
baubletop

Homework Statement

Let q = kd sin(θ), so the sin(θ)-dependent factors in the M-slit and the 2-slit formulas for registered diffraction intensity can be compactly written:
1/M2 = (sin2(Mq/2))/(sin2(q/2)) and cos2(q/2),
where the 1/M2 prefactor normalizes them in common to have unit maximum values, to assist comparison. The first has its largest value when the denominator vanishes at q/2 = nπ and the second is largest where the cosine is maximum, at q/2 = nπ, so their maxima coincide.

A. What is the height of the peak following a maximum peak, for M=8?
B. Find the distance (in q units) beetween those peaks.

Homework Equations

See Above

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a very hard time trying to visualize this at all... My professor drew the graph of the functions (intensity + cosine) together, but this question is focusing more on the intensity equation.
Would I find the height of the smaller peak by taking the derivative of that function and setting it equal to 0? That's the best idea I have but I'm not sure if I'm totally off-base here. I feel like once I have part A I can do part B.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's plug-and-chug: you are given M;
you already know that the max is at theta = 0 , (what is its n? what is its q?);
the "following peak" occurs for the next integer n+1 (what is its q?).

When theta = 0, n = 1, so q = 2pi. The next "big" peak would be at the next integer value of n, but the question is asking about the smaller peaks between those large peaks (which don't occur at all in the cosine function). I can see them in the graph but I'm not sure how I would find their values from the given function without differentiating.

θ=0 means sinθ=0, so q=0, so n=0.
the next maximum happens at n=1, so what is its q?
what is its intensity?

Ah right, my mistake. So at n = 1, q = 2pi (so q/2 = pi)? But then that gives an indeterminate form for the bigger equation. For cos it gives 1. This doesn't make much sense to me though.

Related to Height of Peak in M-Slit Experiments

1. What is the height of the peak in M-Slit Experiments?

The height of the peak in M-Slit Experiments is dependent on various factors such as the distance between the slits, the wavelength of the incident light, and the number of slits. It follows a diffraction pattern where the peak height decreases as the distance between the slits increases.

2. How does the number of slits affect the height of the peak in M-Slit Experiments?

The number of slits directly affects the height of the peak in M-Slit Experiments. As the number of slits increases, the height of the peak decreases due to interference patterns created by the diffracted waves.

3. What is the relationship between the distance between slits and the height of the peak in M-Slit Experiments?

The distance between the slits and the height of the peak in M-Slit Experiments have an inverse relationship. As the distance between slits increases, the height of the peak decreases due to the diffraction pattern created by the incident light.

4. How does the wavelength of the incident light affect the height of the peak in M-Slit Experiments?

The wavelength of the incident light also has an inverse relationship with the height of the peak in M-Slit Experiments. As the wavelength increases, the height of the peak decreases due to the diffraction pattern created by the incident light.

5. Can the height of the peak in M-Slit Experiments be calculated?

The height of the peak in M-Slit Experiments can be estimated using mathematical equations that take into account the distance between slits, the wavelength of the incident light, and the number of slits. However, due to the complexities of diffraction patterns, the calculated value may not always match the actual observed value.