Velocity of a Helium-atom in a double slit experiment

In summary, the author is trying to calculate the velocity of a Helium atom after it scattered on a double slit. The author has found that the condition for constructive interference is d*sin(phi)=n*lamba, n integer. From this information, the author calculates phi and then uses the de-Broglie relation to find the speed.
laguna

Homework Statement

Hi, I want to apologize for any grammar errors in advance since english is not my first language. But i hope it is good enough such that the question is clear:
I want to calculate the velocity of a Helium-atom after it scattered on a double slit. The following information are given:
1) the distance of the first intensity maximum from the axis of the detector screen
2) distance d between both slits
3) distance from the double slit and the detector screen

Homework Equations

what is the velocity of the helium-atom? and what velocity would an electron need to have to reach the same separation of its intensity maximum?

The Attempt at a Solution

1) first I calculated the condition for constructive interference: d*sin(phi)=n*lamba, n integer.
2) from the distance to the screen L, and the distance of the first maximum, say l, we get phi: tan(phi)=l/L
3) from the first step we get lambda, since n=1, right?.
And here i am stuck.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Laguna, :welcome:

Apparently you need one or more relevant equations to proceed. SInce there are none under '2. relevant equations', you will now have to search your toolbox to find some :smile:

Also: in your attempt at solution you might show your steps in more detail; if something goes wrong, PF helper can put it right...

Your difficulty might come from not having all the relevant equations. Think about how the velocity of a particle is related to its wavelength via an important equation.

thank you for the warm welcome :-)

I can use the de-Broglie relation lamba=h/p, p the momentum. then i get the speed, right? :-)
I am sorry, I missread '2. relevant equations' with '2. relevant questions' when I was writing the post.

Good start. You want to check if you need anything relativistic and then you can link ##\lambda## and ##p## (or fist link them and then check that ##v<<c##)

thank you. i didnt even condsider relativity.

Related to Velocity of a Helium-atom in a double slit experiment

1. What is the velocity of a helium atom in a double slit experiment?

The velocity of a helium atom in a double slit experiment can vary depending on the specific conditions of the experiment. However, in most cases, the velocity of a helium atom is measured in meters per second (m/s) and can range from approximately 1000 m/s to 1500 m/s.

2. How is the velocity of a helium atom in a double slit experiment determined?

The velocity of a helium atom in a double slit experiment is typically determined through the use of specialized equipment such as a time-of-flight detector or a laser Doppler velocimeter. These tools measure the time it takes for the atom to travel a certain distance and calculate its velocity using the known distance and time.

3. Can the velocity of a helium atom in a double slit experiment be controlled?

In most cases, the velocity of a helium atom cannot be directly controlled in a double slit experiment. However, scientists can manipulate the conditions of the experiment, such as the temperature and pressure, to indirectly affect the velocity of the atoms.

4. How does the velocity of a helium atom affect the results of a double slit experiment?

The velocity of a helium atom can impact the interference patterns observed in a double slit experiment. Higher velocities can lead to wider interference fringes, while lower velocities can result in narrower fringes. Additionally, the velocity can also affect the distribution of the atoms on the detector screen.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the velocity of a helium atom in a double slit experiment?

Yes, there are several other factors that can influence the velocity of a helium atom in a double slit experiment. These include the size and shape of the double slits, the distance between the slits, and the type of gas used in the experiment. Additionally, external factors such as air currents and vibrations can also affect the velocity of the atoms.