Height differences from relative uncertainty of gravimeters

In summary, the local gravitational acceleration g outside the Earth is proportional to 1/r2, which means the relative uncertainty of the best relative gravimeters is 10-12, corresponding to a height difference of 3 µm. The rule for deriving this equation is through differentiation, and the standard deviation is usually reported as positive. A reference for learning and reviewing this rule would be helpful.
AdrianMachin

Homework Statement

The best relative gravimeters have a relative uncertainty of 10-12, that corresponds to a height difference of 3 µm.

Homework Equations

g∝(1/r2)
The local gravitational acceleration g outside the Earth is proportional to 1/r2, which means (Δg)/g = -2 (Δr)/r. With (Δg)/g = 10-12 we get Δr = 0.5 * 10-12 r where r is the radius of Earth.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to get to the equation I highlighted in red, but I fail. I know it has derived from taking derivatives, but my derivatives result in different equations.
g∝1/r2 → g=k(1/r2) → ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The rule is derived from ##f(x+\Delta x) = f(x) + f'(x)\Delta x\ + {\mathcal O} (\Delta x)^2## so you get $$
\Delta g = g(x+\Delta x ) - g(x) \approx g'(x) \Delta x \Rightarrow \\ = {-2\over x^3} \Delta x \Rightarrow {\Delta g\over g} = -2 {\Delta x\over x}$$

We usually report the standard deviation which is positive.

Likes AdrianMachin
BvU said:
The rule is derived from ##f(x+\Delta x) = f(x) + f'(x)\Delta x\ + {\mathcal O} (\Delta x)^2## so you get $$
\Delta g = g(x+\Delta x ) - g(x) \approx g'(x) \Delta x \Rightarrow \\ = {-2\over x^3} \Delta x \Rightarrow {\Delta g\over g} = -2 {\Delta x\over x}$$

We usually report the standard deviation which is positive.
Thanks. What's the name of that rule and the equation you wrote?
I've totally forgotten it, so I'm asking for a reference to learn and review.

Related to Height differences from relative uncertainty of gravimeters

1. What is a gravimeter?

A gravimeter is a scientific instrument used to measure the relative strength of gravity at different locations. It is typically used to map variations in gravity due to changes in the density of the Earth's subsurface.

2. How does a gravimeter measure height differences?

A gravimeter measures height differences by detecting minute changes in gravitational force as it moves between different elevations. This is achieved through the use of precise sensors and data analysis techniques.

3. What is relative uncertainty in gravimeters?

Relative uncertainty in gravimeters refers to the amount of error or deviation that may occur in the measurements taken by the instrument. It is influenced by various factors such as instrument accuracy, environmental conditions, and data processing methods.

4. How does relative uncertainty affect height difference measurements?

Relative uncertainty can affect height difference measurements by introducing errors or inaccuracies in the data. It is important to account for and minimize relative uncertainty when using gravimeters to ensure more accurate height difference measurements.

5. What are some applications of gravimeters in measuring height differences?

Gravimeters are commonly used in geophysical studies to map subsurface features such as variations in rock density and groundwater levels. They are also used in construction and engineering projects to measure changes in elevation and assess stability of structures.