Gravitation and Binomial Expansion

In summary, the use of binomial expansion (1± x)n = 1± nx + (n(n-1)/2) x2 ±... can be applied to show that the value of gravitational acceleration, g, is altered by approximately Δg ≈ -2g(Δr/rE) at a height Δr above the Earth's surface, as long as Δr<<rE. This can be demonstrated by substituting the value of x=Δr/rE into the equation for gravitational acceleration, g=GM/[rEn(1±Δr/rE)n]2.
novicephysicist

Homework Statement

Use the binomial expansion (1± x)n = 1± nx + (n(n-1)/2) x2 ±...
to show that the value of g is altered by approximately Δg ≈ -2g(Δr/rE) at a height Δr above the Earth's surface, where rE is the radius of the Earth, as long as Δr<<rE

Homework Equations

g=GM/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I had completely forgotten binomial expansions, so I looked it up and found an equation that seemed to apply:
x=Δr/rE
and then
(Δr±rE) = rEn(1±Δr/rE)n
I plugged this into the equation for gravitational acceleration and got
g=GM/[rEn(1±Δr/rE)n]2
I'm not sure if I should substitute 2 for the n? Honestly I'm not sure where to go from here at all. Hopefully I did something correctly? (Note: this is my first time on Physics Forums, so I hope I formatted this correctly and everything)

Any help would be appreciated, thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I figured it out!

1. What is gravitation and how does it work?

Gravitation is a force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is described by Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that every object with mass in the universe is attracted to every other object with mass. The strength of this attraction is determined by the masses of the objects and the distance between them.

2. What is the binomial expansion?

The binomial expansion is a mathematical concept used to expand expressions with binomial coefficients. It allows us to easily find the coefficients and terms in a binomial expansion, which is useful in solving problems in various fields such as probability, statistics, and physics.

3. What is the formula for the binomial expansion?

The formula for the binomial expansion is (a + b)^n = ∑(n choose k) * a^(n-k) * b^k, where n is a positive integer, a and b are any real numbers, and (n choose k) is the binomial coefficient.

4. How is the binomial expansion related to the binomial theorem?

The binomial expansion is the result of applying the binomial theorem, which states that the coefficients in the expansion of (a + b)^n are given by the binomial coefficients (n choose k). The binomial theorem allows us to easily find the terms in a binomial expansion without having to expand the expression manually.

5. What are some real-life applications of gravitation and the binomial expansion?

Gravitation is a fundamental force in the universe, and it plays a crucial role in the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars. The binomial expansion is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, finance, and statistics, to solve problems involving probabilities, series, and coefficients. Some real-life applications include predicting stock prices, calculating insurance premiums, and analyzing the outcomes of experiments with multiple trials.