Heavily Damped Oscillator Equation

In summary, the person is trying to find a solution to a homework equation and does not seem to be making much progress. They suggest trying a different series expansion and end with a joke.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 6.19.37 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to go about this.

They tell me the hint, and to use the simplification. I assume when they say (1+y)^n they take y to be in general, anything. It was confusing at first to see a y in the format when no y was present in any of the previous equations.

So, we know ϒ^2/4 >> w_0^2
So, could we say α^2 = ϒ^2/4 -w_0^2 can turn into α^2 = ϒ^2/4 => α = ϒ/2.
But this is not of the form α = C(1+y)^n.

So, we know ϒ = b/m, but that doesn't seem to help too much as α = b/2m is still not in that form.

Any hints on how I can start this off on the right way? I have a lot of equations in front of me and I feel with a good start up hint ill be off to the races.

Physics news on Phys.org
Read the given hint. It is there for a reason. You have only kept the leading term and not the first order correction.

I also disagree with the problem, I find it extremely intuitive that an overdamped system decays slower.

Likes RJLiberator
You have only kept the leading term and not the first order correction.

α^2=(ϒ^2/4)-w_0^2 and we want it in the form α = C(1+y)^n

I'm not quite sure what you mean with this quote.

The only way I can think of it is if we immediately take a square root of both sides.

α = sqrt(ϒ^2/4-w_0^2)

This is somewhat like what the hint desires, but I feel like I won't get anywhere with this (As I've tried some calculations with this).

I also disagree with the problem, I find it extremely intuitive that an overdamped system decays slower.

I also did as well.

RJLiberator said:
but I feel like I won't get anywhere with this (As I've tried some calculations with this).
Rewrite the square root as an exponent ...

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, so you are suggesting there is more here.

α = sqrt(ϒ^2/4-w_0^2)
α = [ϒ^2/4-w_0^2]^(1/2)
In this case, C = 1
But, we need it to be in the form (1+y)^n
So, perhaps let's try to factor out a ϒ^2/4 from both terms
So we get
α = ϒ/2[1-4*w_0^2/ϒ^2]^(1/2)

Now it is appearing to be in correct form.
So,
α = ϒ/2[1-(1/2)*4*w_0^2/ϒ^2]

Simplifying we get
α = [ϒ/2-w_0^2/ϒ]Oh my god.
I just solved it.

I love math. I also love you.
Why oh why did this take me hours.

RJLiberator said:
Why oh why did this take me hours.

Maybe this particular type of series expansion is not fundamental in your research subject - it is in mine. :rolleyes:

Likes RJLiberator

Related to Heavily Damped Oscillator Equation

1. What is the Heavily Damped Oscillator Equation?

The Heavily Damped Oscillator Equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the motion of a damped oscillator, which is a system that experiences friction or resistance that causes it to lose energy and eventually come to rest. It is a second-order differential equation and is typically written in the form mx'' + bx' + kx = 0, where m is the mass, b is the damping coefficient, and k is the spring constant.

2. How is the Heavily Damped Oscillator Equation different from the other types of oscillator equations?

The Heavily Damped Oscillator Equation is different from other types of oscillator equations, such as the underdamped and critically damped equations, because it describes a system that is heavily influenced by damping. This means that the damping coefficient, b, is much larger than the other terms in the equation, resulting in a slower and more gradual decrease in amplitude.

3. What are the solutions to the Heavily Damped Oscillator Equation?

The solutions to the Heavily Damped Oscillator Equation depend on the values of the damping coefficient, b, and the spring constant, k. If the damping coefficient is very large, the solution will be a decaying exponential function, representing a system that quickly loses energy and comes to rest. If the damping coefficient is smaller, the solution will be a sinusoidal function, representing a system that oscillates with a gradually decreasing amplitude.

4. How does the damping coefficient affect the behavior of the oscillator?

The damping coefficient, b, directly affects the behavior of the oscillator by determining how quickly the system loses energy. A larger damping coefficient means the system will lose energy more quickly, resulting in a slower and more gradual decrease in amplitude. On the other hand, a smaller damping coefficient will result in a slower loss of energy, allowing the system to oscillate for a longer period of time.

5. What real-world systems can be modeled using the Heavily Damped Oscillator Equation?

The Heavily Damped Oscillator Equation can be used to model a variety of real-world systems that experience damping, such as a swing set, car suspension, or shock absorbers. It is also commonly used in engineering applications to design and analyze systems that involve oscillations and damping, such as electrical circuits and mechanical devices.