Force on side of tank filled with liquid of variable specific weight

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the force on the side of an open tank filled with a liquid of variable specific weight. The suggested method is to use the equation F = ∫pdA and p = ϒh, but this is incorrect when ϒ varies with depth. Instead, the correct approach is to integrate using the average specific weight at each depth.
CheesyPeeps
Homework Statement
An open tank with a rectangular side 1 m wide and 4 m high is filled with a liquid of variable specific weight, γ, with γ = 50 + 2y (N/m3), where y is measured vertically downward from the free surface. Find the magnitude of the force on the side of the tank.
Relevant Equations
F = ∫pdA
p = ϒh
Homework Statement: An open tank with a rectangular side 1 m wide and 4 m high is filled with a liquid of variable specific weight, γ, with γ = 50 + 2y (N/m3), where y is measured vertically downward from the free surface. Find the magnitude of the force on the side of the tank.
Homework Equations: F = ∫pdA
p = ϒh

Using Fr = ∫pdA and p = ϒh to make Fr = ∫ϒhdA = ∫yhA, then substituting in the equation for ϒ, I end up with Fr = 200h + 8h2. Note that I have equated y and h, as I will be taking them both to be the height of the wall's centroid.

Substituting in 2 for h (as 2m is the height of the wall's centroid), I end up with Fr = 432N. The correct answer is 421.3N, so I'm not far off, but the presence of the decimal tells me I've missed something.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
CheesyPeeps said:
p = ϒh
This equation is not correct when ϒ varies with depth. However, for an infinitesimal change in depth dh, the pressure change will be dp = ϒdh.

Also, when the density varies with depth, the centroid can no longer be used to obtain the force on the wall.

Likes Abhishek11235 and Delta2
I think you need to integrate instead of using the results of the integration from a simple constant-density case.

For example:

##F = \int_0^{height} \int_0^{width} \gamma(y)_{avg} \cdot y \;dx dy##

Last edited:
mfig said:
I think you need to integrate instead of using the results of the integration from a simple constant-density case.

For example:

##F = \int_0^4 \int_0^1 \gamma(y) \cdot y \;dx dy##
The suggestion of integrating to find the force is a good one. However, the integral shown is not going to give the correct answer. The pressure at a depth ##y## is not given by ##\gamma(y) \cdot y##.

We try to give just enough hint or help to the original poster so that they can do as much of the work on their own as possible. So, we should probably wait for @CheesyPeeps to let us know if they have been able to make any further progress.

TSny said:
The suggestion of integrating to find the force is a good one. However, the integral shown is not going to give the correct answer. The pressure at a depth ##y## is not given by ##\gamma(y) \cdot y##.

We try to give just enough hint or help to the original poster so that they can do as much of the work on their own as possible. So, we should probably wait for @CheesyPeeps to let us know if they have been able to make any further progress.

You replied before I caught my omission of a subscript. The expression I used does indeed give the correct answer as supplied by CheesyPeeps. I thought it was vague enough that CheesyPeeps would have to do some thinking and figuring, and yet it might help push the solution process forward.

mfig said:
You replied before I caught my omission of a subscript. The expression I used does indeed give the correct answer as supplied by CheesyPeeps.
Yes. With the subscript "avg", it's right. Good.

What is the formula for calculating the force on the side of a tank filled with liquid of variable specific weight?

The formula for calculating the force on the side of a tank filled with liquid of variable specific weight is F = ρgVh, where F is the force, ρ is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, V is the volume of the liquid, and h is the height of the liquid.

How does the specific weight of the liquid affect the force on the side of the tank?

The specific weight of the liquid directly affects the force on the side of the tank. As the specific weight increases, so does the force exerted on the tank walls. This is because the specific weight is a measure of the weight per unit volume of the liquid, and therefore, a higher specific weight means a greater weight of liquid pressing against the walls of the tank.

What other factors can affect the force on the side of the tank?

Aside from the specific weight of the liquid, other factors that can affect the force on the side of the tank include the height and shape of the tank, the surface area of the tank walls, and the density of the surrounding fluid (if the tank is not fully submerged).

Is the force on the side of the tank the same at all points?

No, the force on the side of the tank is not the same at all points. The force varies depending on the height of the liquid, with the highest force occurring at the bottom of the tank and decreasing as the height of the liquid decreases.

How can the force on the side of the tank be reduced?

The force on the side of the tank can be reduced by decreasing the specific weight of the liquid, reducing the height of the liquid, or increasing the surface area of the tank walls. Additionally, reinforcing the tank walls or using materials with high strength can also help reduce the force exerted on the tank.