Heating of the brown ring complex

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the heating of the unstable complex ##[Fe(H_2O)_5(NO)]SO_4## can result in two different products, ##FeSO_4## or ##Fe_2(SO_4)_3##, depending on the temperature and duration of heating. This explains the discrepancy between the two results you found from different sources. Both reactions are valid and can occur under different conditions.
mooncrater

Homework Statement

I am confused about the heating of the unstable complex:
##[Fe(H_2O)_5(NO)]SO_4##
In one place I read that it gives ##FeSO_4## , whereas in other place it says ##Fe_2(SO_4)_3##.
So which one is correct?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't have any clue about this one.
Thanks.
Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I understand your confusion about the heating of the unstable complex ##[Fe(H_2O)_5(NO)]SO_4##. The reason for the discrepancy between the two results you found is likely due to the different conditions under which the heating was performed. Let me explain further.

When heating this complex, it is possible for two different reactions to occur, depending on the temperature and duration of heating. At lower temperatures, the complex will undergo a single displacement reaction, resulting in the formation of ##FeSO_4##:

##[Fe(H_2O)_5(NO)]SO_4 + H_2O \rightarrow FeSO_4 + HNO_3 + 5H_2O##

However, at higher temperatures and longer heating times, a double displacement reaction can occur, resulting in the formation of ##Fe_2(SO_4)_3##:

##[Fe(H_2O)_5(NO)]SO_4 + 2H_2O \rightarrow Fe_2(SO_4)_3 + HNO_3 + 5H_2O##

This explains why you found two different products from different sources. It is important to note that the exact conditions of the heating were not specified in your question, so it is difficult to determine which product is more likely to form. However, both reactions are valid and can occur under different conditions.

I hope this helps to clear up your confusion. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Heating of the brown ring complex

What is the brown ring complex?

The brown ring complex is a coordination complex formed between a transition metal ion and a ligand, usually chloride ion. It is characterized by a brownish color and a ring-shaped structure.

How is the brown ring complex formed?

The brown ring complex is formed through the reaction between a transition metal ion, such as iron (III) ion, and a ligand, usually chloride ion. The reaction involves the transfer of electrons from the ligand to the metal ion, forming a coordination complex.

What is the significance of the brown ring complex?

The brown ring complex is significant in analytical chemistry as it can be used as a test for the presence of nitrate ion in a solution. It is also important in understanding the chemical bonding between transition metal ions and ligands.

How does heating affect the brown ring complex?

Heating the brown ring complex can cause the ligand to dissociate from the metal ion, resulting in a change in color and structure. This process can also be influenced by factors such as pH and the nature of the ligand.

What are some real-world applications of the brown ring complex?

The brown ring complex has been used in chemistry experiments to demonstrate the formation of coordination complexes. It is also used in the determination of nitrate ion concentration in environmental samples. Additionally, the brown ring complex has potential applications in catalysis and material synthesis.