Unraveling the Mystery of an Unusual Compound

• Thread starter mooncrater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary: Your fellow scientistIn summary, the reaction series described in the conversation involves the formation of a complex called sodium hexathio-cuprate(II) or Na4[Cu6(S2O3)5] in the second reaction. The complex has an octahedral geometry and the copper atom is hybridized as d2sp3. The excess of sodium thiosulfate in the reaction causes chelation, where the ligand binds to the metal ion at multiple points. This results in the formation of the complex.
mooncrater

Homework Statement

I found out this reaction series in my textbook which is as:
##2Cu(NO_3)_2+2Na_2S_2O_3 \longrightarrow Cu_2(NO_3)_2 +Na_2S_4O_6+2NaNO_3##
## Cu_2(NO_3)_2+Na_2S_2O_3 (excess) \longrightarrow Na_4[Cu_6(S_2O_3)_5] ##
Though it is not balanced(latter one) but my question is about the complex that is formed. What is it's geometry and what is the hybridisation of ##Cu## in this complex?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know. I have never seen any thing like this before. It's an awkward looking compound but still I have curiosity how these type of monsters are made up.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for sharing this interesting reaction series from your textbook. The complex formed in the second reaction is known as sodium hexathio-cuprate(II) or Na4[Cu6(S2O3)5]. Its geometry is octahedral, with six ligands (S2O3) surrounding the central copper atom. The hybridization of the copper atom in this complex is d2sp3.

As for how this complex is formed, it is a result of the excess of sodium thiosulfate (Na2S2O3) being added to the copper(II) nitrate (Cu(NO3)2) solution. The excess thiosulfate ions coordinate with the copper ions, forming the complex. This type of coordination is known as chelation, where a ligand binds to a metal ion at multiple points.

I hope this helps answer your question and satisfy your curiosity about the formation of this complex. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Unraveling the Mystery of an Unusual Compound

1. What is the unusual compound being studied?

The unusual compound being studied is a synthetic molecule that was recently discovered by a research team.

2. What sets this compound apart from others?

This compound has a unique chemical structure and properties that have not been observed in any other known compounds.

3. What is the purpose of studying this compound?

The purpose of studying this compound is to understand its potential applications in various industries, such as medicine, materials science, and energy production.

4. How is the research team unraveling the mystery of this compound?

The research team is using a variety of techniques and tools, such as spectroscopy and computational modeling, to analyze the chemical and physical properties of the compound and determine its structure and behavior.

5. What are some potential implications of this research?

This research could lead to the development of new and innovative technologies, materials, and medicines that could greatly benefit society. It could also further our understanding of chemical reactions and the natural world.

Back