Heating an elastic solid by stressing it verses it's hardness.

In summary: I rolled the wheels off a 37 inch counter, the dead wheel rebounded 17 inches and the "better" wheel rebounded 25 inches. Could this explain why the cheap set of wheels slows me down?The wheels might have been through hardened. I did not control for the bearings. Both sets of wheels did spin freely though and the bearings in each set were relatively low mileage.
Spinnor
Gold Member
I bought a cheaper set of roller blade wheels (you get what you pay for). With new wheels installed I had to work much harder to take longer on my usuall route. The new wheels had a hardness of 82a. The original wheels had a hardness of 80a and the last set had a hardness of 85a. The new wheels seemed "dead". I put back the old wheels on the right roller blade and tested the skates hoping to notice a difference between the sets of wheels. After about a mile of skating (could not difinitively say which set was worse) I came home and took them off and noticed right away that the dead set of wheels was significantly warmer then the older and faster set of wheels. I' m guessing the heat my be a reason the new wheels feel so dead.

Can different elastic solids of the same hardness heat up differently when stressed repeatedly? Do cheap rollerblade wheels have greater losses? Will an expensive wheel bounce higher then a cheap wheel of similar hardness?

I rolled the wheels off a 37 inch counter, the dead wheel rebounded 17 inches and the "better" wheel rebounded 25 inches. Could this explain why the cheap set of wheels slows me down?

Thanks for any help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What did you do to compare the bearing friction?

Do you know if any of the wheels were through hardened or case hardened?

Studiot said:
What did you do to compare the bearing friction?

Do you know if any of the wheels were through hardened or case hardened?

I did not control for the bearings. Both sets of wheels did spin freely though and the bearings in each set were relatively low mileage.

The product description for the wheels did not say if they were hardened. Is that done to "plastic" wheels? Even the "good" set was not too expensive.

Related to Heating an elastic solid by stressing it verses it's hardness.

1. What is the difference between heating and stressing an elastic solid?

Heating an elastic solid involves increasing its temperature, which causes the atoms or molecules within the solid to vibrate more quickly and therefore increase its overall energy. Stressing an elastic solid involves applying a force or pressure to the solid, which can also increase the energy within the solid but in a different way. Stressing the solid can cause changes in its shape and structure, leading to changes in its properties such as hardness.

2. How does heating an elastic solid affect its hardness?

Heating an elastic solid can cause changes in its hardness depending on the type of solid and the temperature it is heated to. In general, increasing the temperature can decrease the hardness of a solid, as the increased energy causes the atoms or molecules to vibrate more and become less tightly bound. However, this may not always be the case as some solids may exhibit different behaviors at high temperatures.

3. Can stressing an elastic solid increase its hardness?

Yes, stressing an elastic solid can increase its hardness by causing changes in its crystal structure or by creating dislocations within the solid. These changes can make it more difficult for the solid to deform or break, resulting in a higher hardness. However, excessive stressing can also cause the solid to become more brittle and prone to fracture.

4. Is there a limit to how much an elastic solid can be heated or stressed?

Yes, there are limits to how much an elastic solid can be heated or stressed before it undergoes permanent changes or failure. The maximum temperature a solid can be heated to without melting or undergoing a phase change is called its melting point. Similarly, the maximum stress a solid can withstand before breaking is called its ultimate strength. These limits vary depending on the type of solid and its composition.

5. How do heating and stressing an elastic solid affect its overall properties?

Both heating and stressing can cause changes in an elastic solid's properties, such as its hardness, strength, and elasticity. The specific effects will depend on the type of solid and the amount of heating or stressing applied. In some cases, these changes can be beneficial, while in others they may be detrimental. It is important to carefully consider the effects of heating and stressing on a solid's properties before making any changes.