Heat transfer through AL shield by radiation & convection

In summary, the person is looking for help with a problem involving surface temperature. They are not sure if it is heat transfer (radiation), heat transfer (conduction), or heat transfer (convection) that they need to worry about, but they are familiar with the equations for each. They have taken a few heat transfer classes, and are familiar with the thermal-resistive circuit method. They are also having trouble adding convection to the problem of radiation from the heat source. They need to know the thermal resistance between the heat source and some point that they consider to be at a fixed temperature, and they also need to know more about the thermal properties of the surface they are working with.
RekhaP87
Hi all,

I am new here, and want to thank you for help in advance! I am working on a project and need some help - I need to figure out surface temp on an object at some distance from the heat source:

upload_2016-4-18_18-36-16.png

I need some help getting started.

Is it going to be: Heat transfer (radiation) + Heat transfer (conduction fiberglass) + Heat transfer conduction (Al + Heat transfer (radiation)

How do take into account convection to find surface temp at reflective surface and surface temp at green surface?

I am assuming I know the following: h(convection) air, k (fiberglass), k (Al).

Thanks,
Rp

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is a relatively complicated problem to solve, have you taken a course in Heat Transfer? What have you done so far to try and solve the problem?

This would be solved analytically using the thermal-resistive circuit method, calculating the "thermal resistance" for each part of the problem and then solving for temperature drops across each resistor. Are you familiar with this method?

Mech_Engineer said:
This is a relatively complicated problem to solve, have you taken a course in Heat Transfer? What have you done so far to try and solve the problem?

This would be solved analytically using the thermal-resistive circuit method, calculating the "thermal resistance" for each part of the problem and then solving for temperature drops across each resistor. Are you familiar with this method?

Hi, thank you for your response! I have taken few heat transfer classes, and am familiar with the thermal-resistive circuit method. I know basic radiation, conduction, and convection equations has well.

25mph air is throwing me off in how to add the convection contribution + radiation from the heat source to the reflective material.

To calculate the contribution of of multiple heat transfer methods, you only need to calculate each method's thermal resistance and then add them as if they were parallel resistors. See attached diagram. When calculating the thermal resistance for convection, you need to calculate the convective coefficient [itex]h[/itex], which uses the speed of the flow as an input.

The equations you'll need to use are:
  • Thermal Resistance, Conduction: [itex]R = \frac{L}{k A}[/itex]
  • Thermal Resistance, Convection: [itex]R = \frac{1}{h A}[/itex]
  • Thermal Resistance, Radiation: [itex]R = \frac{1}{h_r A}[/itex]
Make sure and take view factors into account when you're calculating your radiation transfer coefficients.

Attachments

• Resistor Network.JPG
    Resistor Network.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 521
I think you will need to know more about the thermal properties of the surface who's temperature you are trying to calculate. For example the thermal resistance between it an some point that you consider to be at a fixed temperature.

There is not enough information in the initial description of the problem to allow of any meaningful calculations .

Post a sketch showing the actual configuration in 3D and tell us more about that heat source .

1. How does radiation transfer heat through an AL shield?

Radiation is the transfer of heat energy through electromagnetic waves. These waves can travel through a vacuum and do not require a medium to transfer heat. When an AL shield is exposed to a heat source, such as the sun or a fire, it absorbs the heat energy and then re-emits it in the form of infrared radiation, which can pass through the shield and transfer heat to the other side.

2. What is convection and how does it contribute to heat transfer through an AL shield?

Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids or gases. In the case of an AL shield, when one side of the shield is exposed to a heat source, the air molecules in contact with the shield heat up and become less dense, causing them to rise. This creates a convection current, with cooler air replacing the warm air and continuing the cycle. This movement of air helps to transfer heat through the shield.

3. How does the material of the AL shield affect its ability to transfer heat through radiation and convection?

The material of the AL shield can greatly impact its ability to transfer heat through radiation and convection. Materials with high thermal conductivity, such as metals, are better at conducting heat through convection. Additionally, materials with high reflectivity, such as aluminum, are better at reflecting radiation and preventing heat transfer through radiation.

4. Is heat transfer through an AL shield by radiation or convection more efficient?

The efficiency of heat transfer through an AL shield depends on various factors, such as the temperature difference between the two sides of the shield, the material of the shield, and the environment. In general, radiation is more efficient at transferring heat through an AL shield, as it does not require a medium and can occur even in a vacuum. However, convection can also play a significant role in heat transfer, especially in cases where there is a large temperature difference between the two sides of the shield.

5. How can the heat transfer through an AL shield be controlled or optimized?

There are several ways to control or optimize heat transfer through an AL shield. One way is to use materials with high reflectivity, such as aluminum, to reduce heat transfer through radiation. Another way is to manipulate the air flow around the shield to enhance or decrease convection. This can be achieved through the use of fans or insulation. Additionally, the design and construction of the shield can also play a role in optimizing heat transfer, by considering factors such as thickness, surface area, and material properties.