Heat transfer sample problem.

In summary: So, would it be reasonable to assume that if I made a pile 2.5 m wide and high, it would take twice as long to cool as if I made a pile 1.5 m wide and high?It would be reasonable to assume this, based on the information you've provided. If you were making a pile of bars that were 1.5 m wide and high, it would take approximately the same amount of time to cool as if you made a pile of bars that were 2.5 m wide and high.
capterdi
I´ve found a webpage where the following problem is solved in detail, together with the substitution of numerical values into the pertinent formulas:

A plate is of cross-section thickness L = 0.1 m and has an initial temp of To = 250°C.
It is suddenly immersed into an oil bath of temperature Ta = 50°C.
The material properties are:
thermal conductivity k = 204W/m°C
heat transfer coefficient h = 80W/m^2°C
density rho = 2707 kg/m^3
specific heat Cp = 896 J/kg°C .
It is required to determine the time taken for the slab to cool to a temperature of 200°C.

The formula used to solve the problem is of the form
(T(t)-Ta)/(To-Ta) = e^-(mt)

where m is a function of h, rho, Cp and L.

The solution is then worked out for the conditions stated above. I had no problem in understanding the steps to solve the problem.

But now, suppose the same problem, but instead of submerging the plate into an oil bath at Ta = 50°C, leave the plate to cool into ambient air at Ta = 20°C.

My specific question is this:

Which coefficients and constants should I change to take care of the air instead of the oil
and which are their numeric values?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You only need to replace the heat transfer (convection) coefficient with the one corresponding to air; the properties of the plate are obviously unchanged. However, the convection coefficient can vary depending on whether the air is being blown at the plate (called forced convection) or not (natural convection). In natural convection, even the orientation of the plate makes a difference, because air circulation is driven by buoyancy alone (i.e., hot air rising). Can you tell us a little more about the application?

As a rough estimate, though, you might use a convection coefficient of 10W/m2°C, which should be the right order of magnitude.

Mapes,

Thank you. That was my guess...now I got the confirmation.

Well, about the application...In real life what I have are steel bars measuring each one 0.16 x 0.16 x 12.7 m
and I have to make piles of different size, placing them side by side, because what we have is a yard for
storing the bars. I´m guessing, without any background, that the wider and higher the pile, more time will it
take to cool the bars. But obviously, it´s impractical to place every bar widely separated one from the other,
because of physical space.

Related to Heat transfer sample problem.

1. What is heat transfer and why is it important?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another. It is important because it allows for the regulation of temperature and the transfer of energy in various systems, such as in cooking, heating and cooling buildings, and in industrial processes.

2. What are the three types of heat transfer?

The three types of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects or substances. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids or gases. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. How do you calculate the rate of heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer can be calculated using the equation Q/t = kA (T1-T2)/d, where Q/t is the rate of heat transfer, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the surface area, T1 and T2 are the temperatures of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

4. What factors affect heat transfer?

The factors that affect heat transfer include the temperature difference between the two objects, the thermal conductivity of the materials involved, the surface area of the objects, and the distance between them. Other factors may also include the type of material, the presence of insulation, and the presence of a medium for convection.

5. How can heat transfer be minimized or maximized?

Heat transfer can be minimized by increasing the distance between objects, using materials with low thermal conductivity, and using insulation to reduce the temperature difference. It can be maximized by decreasing the distance between objects, using materials with high thermal conductivity, and increasing the temperature difference.