Heat transfer in 2-D with different 'k' values.

In summary, the conversation revolved around the calculation of temperature variation in a 2-D space, specifically at node 24. The node experiences convection from the left upper quadrant with a coefficient of h, conduction from the right upper quadrant with a coefficient of k1, and conduction from the bottom with a coefficient of k2. The speaker was unsure of how to combine these different k values into one equation. Another person suggested adding the power coming into node 24 from each side, specifically the lines of constant x and y. The conversation also touched on the PDE and convective boundary conditions for this problem.
bookmail
KakaoTalk_810bcda36c4778d4.jpg

Hello. I'm a student of Univ. of Korea.

As you can see in the attachment, I'm calculating the Temp variation in 2-D.

The node 24 has a convection from left upper quadrant with h, a conduction from right upper with k1 and a conduction from bottoms with k2.

I can't figure out how should I combined those different k values in one Equation...

Thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you just add the power coming into 24 through each side.

Which are the lines of constant x and which are the lines of constant y? What is the pde, including the k1 and k2? What is the mathematical expression of the convective BC?

Related to Heat transfer in 2-D with different 'k' values.

1. What is heat transfer in 2-D with different 'k' values?

Heat transfer in 2-D refers to the transfer of thermal energy in two-dimensional systems, such as a flat surface or a thin layer. 'k' values, also known as thermal conductivity, are a measure of how well a material conducts heat. When 'k' values are different, it means that the materials have different abilities to transfer heat.

2. Why is it important to understand heat transfer in 2-D with different 'k' values?

Understanding heat transfer in 2-D with different 'k' values is important because it can help us predict how heat will move in a given system. This is crucial in many engineering and industrial processes, such as designing efficient heat exchangers or controlling the temperature in a building.

3. How does heat transfer in 2-D with different 'k' values affect temperature distribution?

The different 'k' values in a system can cause uneven distribution of temperature, as materials with higher thermal conductivity will transfer heat more efficiently. This can lead to hot spots and temperature variations, which can impact the performance and stability of the system.

4. Can 'k' values change in a 2-D system?

Yes, 'k' values can change in a 2-D system depending on various factors such as temperature, pressure, and material composition. For example, the thermal conductivity of a material may decrease as its temperature increases.

5. How can we manipulate heat transfer in 2-D with different 'k' values?

Heat transfer in 2-D with different 'k' values can be manipulated by altering the materials used in a system or by changing the temperature and pressure conditions. Additionally, the use of insulating materials can reduce the effects of different 'k' values and improve overall heat transfer efficiency.