Engineering heat transfer problem for critical radius

They are wondering if they should start by differentiating the rate of heat transfer equation.In summary, Chetan is seeking help for finding the critical radius r2 for maximum heat transfer by convection in a pipe with variable conductivity. They are considering starting by differentiating the rate of heat transfer equation.
mostar

Homework Statement

A pipe of internal radius r1=0.03 m is built to have conductivity variable with radius: k=ar2, where a=250 Wm/K. 1) Find the critical radius r2 for the maximum heat transfer by convection from its external surface if the heat transfer coefficient is h2=30 W/m2K.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just wondering do i start differenticate the rate of heat transfer Q equation ? if not can anyone guide me.

Physics news on Phys.org
mostar said:

Homework Statement

A pipe of internal radius r1=0.03 m is built to have conductivity variable with radius: k=ar2, where a=250 Wm/K. 1) Find the critical radius r2 for the maximum heat transfer by convection from its external surface if the heat transfer coefficient is h2=30 W/m2K.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just wondering do i start differenticate the rate of heat transfer Q equation ? if not can anyone guide me.
Let's see what you have done so far.

Chet

Related to Engineering heat transfer problem for critical radius

1. What is a critical radius in heat transfer engineering?

The critical radius in heat transfer engineering refers to the minimum radius at which a heat source can be placed on a surface without causing any significant increase in temperature. It is a crucial factor in designing and optimizing heat transfer systems.

2. How is the critical radius calculated?

The critical radius is calculated using the critical heat flux (CHF) equation, which takes into account factors such as the material properties of the surface, the temperature difference between the surface and the heat source, and the heat transfer coefficient.

3. Why is the critical radius important in heat transfer problems?

The critical radius is important because it determines the maximum heat flux that can be safely applied to a surface without causing damage or overheating. It also helps in determining the size and placement of heat sources in heat transfer systems to achieve optimal performance.

4. What are some common applications of critical radius in engineering?

Critical radius is used in various engineering applications, such as designing heat exchangers, cooling systems for electronic devices, and nuclear reactors. It is also important in industries such as power generation, aerospace, and automotive for efficient heat management.

5. How can the critical radius be optimized for better heat transfer performance?

The critical radius can be optimized by selecting the appropriate material for the surface, increasing the heat transfer coefficient through methods such as using fins or increasing flow rate, and reducing the temperature difference between the surface and the heat source. Conducting experimental tests and simulations can also help in determining the optimal critical radius for a specific heat transfer problem.