Heat transfer across an infinite plate of constant thickness

In summary, when modelling heat transfer through a plate using Fourier's equation, setting the width and length of the plate to a specified value rather than being infinite can affect the heat transfer analysis. This is because the infinite plate assumption simplifies the problem to a one-dimensional case, whereas considering a finite plate would require analysis of heat transfer across the entire plate. Additionally, considering a three-dimensional model instead of a one-dimensional model may also affect the heat transfer analysis.
mattyboson12
When modelling the heat transfer through a plate using fouriers equation, what difference would it make if the width and length of the plate were set to a specified value rather than being infinite?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't understand how you consider width and length of heat exchanger to be infinite.

I read the following in a textbook:

"The temperature in the tile is to be analysed by solving Fourier's equation numerically using a finite difference technique. To simplify the problem, the following two assumptions are made: It is modeled as a one-dimensional problem. Only heat flow across the 5cm thickness is considered. The tile is assumed to behave like an infinite plate of 5cm thickness"

I was just curious as to what difference it would make to the heat transfer if you considered a 3 dimensional model instead

mattyboson12 said:
I read the following in a textbook:

"The temperature in the tile is to be analysed by solving Fourier's equation numerically using a finite difference technique. To simplify the problem, the following two assumptions are made: It is modeled as a one-dimensional problem. Only heat flow across the 5cm thickness is considered. The tile is assumed to behave like an infinite plate of 5cm thickness"

I was just curious as to what difference it would make to the heat transfer if you considered a 3 dimensional model instead
I suppose it's like considering uniform effect over the heat exchanger plate. If it is considered finite then heat transfer via outer portion of that plate is difficult to analyse. I am not fully sure but I suppose it's like it.

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_heat-exchanger_gif.png
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_heat-exchanger_gif.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 445

Related to Heat transfer across an infinite plate of constant thickness

1. What is heat transfer across an infinite plate of constant thickness?

Heat transfer across an infinite plate of constant thickness refers to the process of heat being transferred from one side of a plate to the other side due to a temperature difference.

2. What factors affect heat transfer across an infinite plate of constant thickness?

The factors that affect heat transfer across an infinite plate of constant thickness include the thermal conductivity of the plate material, the temperature difference between the two sides of the plate, and the thickness of the plate.

3. How is heat transfer calculated across an infinite plate of constant thickness?

The heat transfer across an infinite plate of constant thickness can be calculated using Fourier's law of heat conduction, which states that the rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to the temperature difference and inversely proportional to the thickness of the plate.

4. What is the significance of studying heat transfer across an infinite plate of constant thickness?

Studying heat transfer across an infinite plate of constant thickness is important in understanding how heat is transferred through solid materials, which is crucial in various engineering and scientific applications such as in the design of thermal insulation and heat exchangers.

5. Can the heat transfer across an infinite plate of constant thickness be controlled?

Yes, the heat transfer across an infinite plate of constant thickness can be controlled by altering the temperature difference or by using materials with different thermal conductivities. Additionally, the use of insulation or other heat transfer barriers can also help control the transfer of heat across the plate.