Heat-Related Problem: Is Inverse Proportion True?

• Thread starter mengshuen
  • Start date
In summary, the resistance of a thermometer decreases when the temperature of the object increases. However, the resistance increases when the temperature of the object increases if the temperature is lower than the curie points. Additionally, there is no linear relationship between resistance and temperature for thermistors.~~
mengshuen
Hi all, this is my 1st time posting here, so please bear with me.

I have this odd physics question which my teacher claimed it was correct. In fact, the entire physics department agreed with her. I may be wrong, but I need confirmation.

For a resistance thermometer, the resistance DEcreases when the temperature of a object INcreases. It is thus inversely proportionate. Is this correct?

For different thermometers, specifically the mercury and the resistance thermometer, when the reading of the mercury thermometer reads 40 degree Celsius, the resistance thermometer should read much higher than 40, in fact, in the 75 range. My teacher told me that this is because different thermometric properties will produce different temperature scales but they will agree at the ice and steam point. Other pupils who put the reason as the resistance of the platinum wire is not based on a linear scale got the mark. I mean, if it has a non-linear scale, how can it be used as a thermometer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Question: "For a resistance thermometer, the resistance DEcreases when the temperature of a object increases. It is thus inversely proportionate.Is this correct?"

Answer:

For a resistance thermometer, the resistance decreases when the temperature of a object increases if temperatures are above curie points.

For a resistance thermometer, the resistance increases when the temperature of a object increases if the temperature is lower then the curie points.

Inversely proportionate is not true in both cases as there is no linear graph. (Please see below)

It is only applicatble for linear graphs.

Statement:
"For different thermometers, specifically the mercury and the resistance thermometer, when the reading of the mercury thermometer reads 40 degree Celsius, the resistance thermometer should read much higher than 40, in fact, in the 75 range. My teacher told me that this is because different thermometric properties will produce different temperature scales but they will agree at the ice and steam point. "

Reason: Your teachers are quite correct. There is no such thing as a linear graph if x be the temperature, the y be the property of the constant being changed. It would result in a sort of curve. Please do a search for the Steinhart Hart equation.

Statement:
"Other pupils who put the reason as the resistance of the platinum wire is not based on a linear scale got the mark."

Reason: They should... The scale is not straight, its a curve.

Statement:
"I mean, if it has a non-linear scale, how can it be used as a thermometer?"

Reason: Even if it has a non-linear scale, it can be used as a thermometer. No one knows for sure if there is a linear scale to start with. That is because you only have 2 points: the boiling and melting point.

Hope I was of help...

Last edited:
There are actually 3 types of RESISTANCE based temperature sensors in general use. The first 2 types are called "THERMISTORS", with one type of Thermistor called "NTC" ("Negative Temperature Coefficient") because its Resistance DECREASES with increasing temperature, and the 2nd type of Thermistor called "PTC" ("Positive Temperature Coefficient") because its Resistance INCREASES with increasing temperature. The last 3rd type of Resistance-Based temperature sensor is called "RTD" ("Resistance Temperature Detector") whose Resistance generally INCREASES with increasing temperature.

Most RESISTANCE temperature sensors today are either the NTC Thermistors or the RTD Platinum sensors. Neither one has a perfectly linear relationship between its Resistance and the Temperature. However, the RTD Platinum sensor is much more linear than the NTC Thermistor. However, the NTC Thermistor is usually much more sensitive than the RTD Platinum.

Web Site #1 listed below compares the NTC Thermistor with the RTD Platinum sensors in the 2nd graph. Note that the NTC Thermistor rapidly decreases in resistance whereas the RTD Platinum slowly increase resistance with increasing temperature. Neither one is linear.

Even though Resistance is not linear with Temperature, formulas are provided to convert measured Resistance to the correct Temperature. Web Site #1 listed below illustrates some formulas towards the bottom of the page.

Web Site #2 listed below compares the NTC Thermistor and RTD Platinum sensors in more detail.

Web Site #1:
http://wuntronic.de/sensors/therm_cal.htm
Web Site #2:
http://www.enercorp.com/temp/Thermistors_comparision.html

~~

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Heat-Related Problem: Is Inverse Proportion True?

1. What is inverse proportion?

Inverse proportion is a mathematical relationship between two variables where one variable increases while the other decreases at a constant rate. This means that as one variable gets larger, the other gets smaller, and vice versa.

2. How does inverse proportion apply to heat-related problems?

Inverse proportion applies to heat-related problems because as the temperature increases, the rate of heat loss decreases. This is because the difference in temperature between an object and its surroundings decreases, causing less heat transfer to occur.

3. Is inverse proportion always true for heat-related problems?

No, inverse proportion is not always true for heat-related problems. Other factors such as insulation, air flow, and humidity can also affect the rate of heat loss and may not follow an inverse proportion relationship.

4. How can inverse proportion be used to solve heat-related problems?

Inverse proportion can be used to solve heat-related problems by using the inverse proportion formula, which states that the product of the two variables is constant. This means that if one variable increases, the other must decrease by the same factor to maintain the constant product. By setting up and solving equations using this formula, we can determine the relationship between the variables in a heat-related problem.

5. Are there any limitations to using inverse proportion in heat-related problems?

Yes, there are limitations to using inverse proportion in heat-related problems. This relationship assumes that all other factors remain constant, which may not be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, inverse proportion is only applicable to linear relationships and may not accurately represent non-linear relationships between variables. Therefore, it is important to consider other factors and use caution when applying inverse proportion to heat-related problems.