Heat or Absorbed Energy and EM Radiation / Conductivity

In summary, heat or absorbed energy is the transfer of thermal energy from a hotter object to a cooler object through conduction, convection, or radiation. EM radiation plays a crucial role in this process, as it causes molecules to vibrate and produce heat when absorbed by an object. Thermal conductivity, which is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat, affects heat transfer by determining how quickly heat can move through a material. Materials with high thermal conductivity transfer heat more quickly, while those with low thermal conductivity transfer heat more slowly. Examples of EM radiation include sunlight, microwaves, x-rays, and visible light, which have different effects on heat and absorbed energy due to their varying wavelengths.
Macocio
I would like to know whether Kelvin or KJs matter when it comes down to a material radiating and / or conducting its heat.

Science news on Phys.org
I don't know how to edit so excuse me for double posting but me and my friend figured it out now.

This can be closed :)

Just to point out for others, Kelvin is a measure of temperature, Kilojoules is a measure of energy and work. You would need both to answer your question I think. Glad you figured it out though!

Related to Heat or Absorbed Energy and EM Radiation / Conductivity

1. What is heat or absorbed energy?

Heat or absorbed energy is the transfer of thermal energy from a hotter object to a cooler object. This transfer occurs through conduction, convection, or radiation. It is the amount of energy that is absorbed by an object and increases its temperature.

2. How does EM radiation affect heat or absorbed energy?

EM radiation, or electromagnetic radiation, plays a crucial role in heat and absorbed energy. When EM radiation is absorbed by an object, it causes its molecules to vibrate and produce heat. This is how heat energy from the sun reaches the Earth's surface.

3. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It is the rate at which heat energy is transferred through a material by conduction. Materials with high thermal conductivity, such as metals, are good conductors of heat, while materials with low thermal conductivity, like air, are good insulators.

4. How does conductivity affect heat transfer?

Conductivity affects heat transfer by determining how quickly heat can move through a material. Materials with high thermal conductivity can transfer heat more quickly, while materials with low thermal conductivity will transfer heat more slowly. This is why metal objects feel cold to the touch even at room temperature, as they quickly transfer heat away from our hands.

5. What are some examples of EM radiation?

EM radiation includes a wide range of energy wavelengths, from radio waves to gamma rays. Some common examples of EM radiation that we encounter in our daily lives include sunlight, microwaves, x-rays, and visible light. These different wavelengths of EM radiation have different effects on heat and absorbed energy, with shorter wavelengths carrying more energy and causing more heat to be produced.