Heat generated by particles passing through material

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the energy deposited in a material by a stream/beam of electrons. This is done by using equations such as N=\frac{I t}{e_0} and q=\frac{N E_0}{V t}. The flaw in understanding may lie in the time-dependence of the energy lost by the electrons, which can be explored further by looking at the Bethe-Bloch equation.
Fr34k
Lets say you have a stream/beam of electrons, you know the current (I), time (t) and all the dimensional characteristics of the beam.
You can now calculate the amount of electrons that pass some material in the amount of time.
[itex]N=\frac{I t}{e_0}[/itex], where e0 is elementary charge.
Now each electron deposits some amount of energy in the material,calculated with Bethe-Bloch (dE/dx) multiply that by the distance traveled in the material and you get all the energy an electron loses by passing through the material.
Now I have the problem of simulating that heat generation (q) term.
[itex]q=\frac{N E_0}{V t}[/itex], all the energy deposited in a volume in the amount of time that electrons were passing. If you put all this together, you get something like:
[itex]q=\frac{I dE/dx}{e_0 S}[/itex], where S is the area of the beam.
Now what I can't figure out is, why this is not time dependent? It should have been. Where are the flaws in my understanding?
Thanks for suggestions/comments.

Science news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have a good understanding of the physics behind calculating the energy deposited in a material. It is possible that the flaw in your understanding may be related to the time-dependence of the energy lost by the electrons. Since the energy lost by an electron depends on both the number of electrons and the distance they travel, it would make sense that the energy loss would be time-dependent. Perhaps you can take a look at the Bethe-Bloch equation to see how the energy loss might be affected by time.

Related to Heat generated by particles passing through material

1. What is the definition of "heat generated by particles passing through material?"

Heat generated by particles passing through material refers to the energy that is produced as a result of particles moving through a substance. This movement causes friction and collisions, which results in heat being released.

2. How is heat generated by particles passing through material measured?

The amount of heat generated by particles passing through material is typically measured in joules (J) or calories (cal). These units represent the amount of energy produced by the friction and collisions of the particles.

3. What factors impact the amount of heat generated by particles passing through material?

The amount of heat generated by particles passing through material can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the speed and size of the particles, the density and composition of the material, and the duration of the particles' movement through the material.

4. How does heat generated by particles passing through material affect the material itself?

The heat generated by particles passing through material can cause changes in the material's physical and chemical properties. For example, it can lead to an increase in temperature, changes in the material's structure, or even chemical reactions.

5. What are some real-world applications of heat generated by particles passing through material?

Heat generated by particles passing through material has many practical applications, including in power generation, manufacturing processes, and transportation. It is also utilized in everyday items such as ovens, heaters, and engines.