Heat engine efficiency calculation

In summary, after modifying a spark ignited engine, the speaker has improved its efficiency. The fuel consumption at idle is 9.8 cc/min and at 750 rpm for a normal engine it is estimated to be 25-30 cc/min for 5 horsepower. The efficiency of the normal engine at idle is uncertain, but after correction to 750 rpm, the fuel consumption is 11.385 cc/min according to the turbocalc program. The speaker also notes that friction and compression losses are 0.5 horsepower, based on the strength of a starter motor. By using the equations, the speaker calculates an efficiency of 79% at idle for their modified engine, which is comparable to a standard diesel engine. They also mention
smokingwheels

Homework Statement

I have an spark ignited engine and after modifying it I have improved the efficiency.

What is its efficiency at idle?
Fuel consumption at 650 rpm = 9.8 cc/min measured
Fuel consumption at 750 rpm for normal engine = 25-30 cc/min estimated for about 5 HP
Normal engine efficiency = 30% unsure at idle
Corrected my engine to 750 rpm = 11.385 cc/min used turbocalc program
Friction and compression losses = 0.5 HP just going on what a starter motor strength

Homework Equations

30 cc = 30% 11.385cc = ?
I was not much good at school

The Attempt at a Solution

30cc/min / 11.385cc/min= 2.635
2.635 * 30% = 79% efficiency at idle

25cc/min / 11.385cc/min= 2.195
2.195 * 30% = 65% efficiency at idle

So as good or better than a diesel but Maybe could possibly double check the carnot law.:smile:

I can say when you raise the compression of my engine it reduces combustion losses.
causing less wasted heat in the combustion chamber, I can probably push the compression ratio further until the limit of self ignition my current engine is a mild version of what I had.

I had a high compression engine before and spark plugs would carbon up in 3-4 days, I then lowered the compression and the plugs lasted for 2 months.
I have the plugs on youtube if you would like to see.

I have video of my fuel consumption test online you do not think its possible :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
So my engine is at least as good or better than a standard diesel engine,the efficiency at idle is about 79-65%.

Related to Heat engine efficiency calculation

1. What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts thermal energy into mechanical work. This is usually achieved by using the difference in temperature between a hot reservoir and a cold reservoir to drive a thermodynamic cycle.

2. How is heat engine efficiency calculated?

The efficiency of a heat engine is calculated by dividing the work output by the heat input. This can be expressed as a percentage or as a decimal.

3. What factors affect heat engine efficiency?

The efficiency of a heat engine is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, the type of fuel used, and the design and functioning of the engine.

4. Can heat engine efficiency be greater than 100%?

No, according to the first law of thermodynamics, energy cannot be created or destroyed. Therefore, the efficiency of a heat engine cannot be greater than 100%. However, it is possible to improve the efficiency of a heat engine by reducing energy losses.

5. How is heat engine efficiency related to the concept of entropy?

The efficiency of a heat engine is closely related to the concept of entropy. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In a heat engine, the efficiency decreases as the entropy of the system increases, leading to energy losses and reduced performance.